cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matt1972
Message 1 of 9

Bt dtr 4000

Hello and thanks for accepting me to your forum. Being skint and having a fall out with virgin I've been doing some homework and reading alot over the past few days. I've a Samsung 65inch tv the older 1080p hd 9000 model still a very good tv excellent picture on virgin hd channels but now I need to loose the virgin tv as thay have left me with only 9hd channels most of which I don't watch.

I'm looking at the bt 4000 tb1 box from what I've read it seams to have the best quality picture's? Hopefully as good as the virgin hd ? Any information would be great, what I don't know is without a subscription how meny hd channels I can get or do I need to pay anything to get more ? Is this unit still a current model as it's not advertised in the bt shop ? I've found 1 at Amazon.  I will keep my virgin broadband and hopefully just plug it in, the humax 4000 box says 12 hd channels the bt 50 ? Any help would be appreciated as soon as I'm sure I've got to get 1 fast as I've 12 days to cancel virgin's  ridiculous charges 

8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Bt dtr 4000

@Matt1972 

You would need to have BT Broadband to get any extra subscription channels, so all you will have, would be a FreeView PVR, which would need a good external TV aerial to get SD and HD FreeView transmissions.

Unless you intend to move to BT Broadband, you would be better off just getting a basic FreeView PVR.

Matt1972
Message 3 of 9

I've a problem then Keith as the main virgin feed into the house to the modem then splits 1 feed to the modem and an f connector that adapts into a aerial, the old brown type roof aerial I don't have, can I use this 1 ? And are you suggesting buy a humax ?
Matt1972
Message 4 of 9

I also rang bt today thay want to fit the broadband with there box the cheapest is £55 I cannot afford it. I was hoping to pay just the broadband at 27 for 50meg 

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

The Virgin cable TV feed cannot be used with a FreeView box, so you would need a new terrestrial TV aerial and cabling installed, which would be expensive.

I cannot see you have any other option but to use what Virgin have provided you with. Even with BT broadband, you would still need that aerial. That would be the same for all other providers who are YouView partners.

Matt1972
Message 6 of 9

hi Keith 

Wouldn't the aerial from the virgin be ok ? 

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

@Matt1972 wrote:

hi Keith 

Wouldn't the aerial from the virgin be ok ? 

No,  cable TV is  a totally different transmission system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_television

Matt1972
Message 8 of 9

Yes my coaxial cable has an adapter on the end that converts to an aerial which goes in to the virgin box also 

Matt1972
Message 9 of 9

I'm at a loss now I somehow need to loose the virgin and gain some tv in hd on the cheap but keeping my Wi-Fi any ideas ? I'm not a teck guy at all