cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 25

Re: Bt small claims court hearing 5th August

What Happens if a Party Does Not Attend The Hearing?

A party who does not wish to attend a small claims trial should write to the court, at least 7 days before the final hearing, asking the judge to decide the case based on their documents.

A party, who fails to attend a hearing without giving the notice described above, can apply to set aside the decision made in their absence. The application must be made within 14 days of the decision being served on them. The party should show that:

• they had a good reason for not attending the hearing; and;
  • they have a "reasonable prospect of success" in the claim.
  • Parties cannot apply in this way to set aside a decision made after all parties agreed to the case being decided without a hearing.

In some cases a party's failure to attend the final hearing could result in the judge ordering them to pay additional costs to the other side.

Jimmy3
Contributor
Message 22 of 25

Thank you for your answer,I paid £185 to mcol and an additional £335 to local court for my hearing,if other side doesn't turn up will I have to pay additional court fees or will the other side have to pay as I was there and they didn't turn up,sorry for asking so many questions but this is my first time and don't know the procedures,I will save up in case there absence costs me but if it does will it be another £335 ,thank you

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 25

As per the above. If they have notified the court that they will not attend and want the court to deal with it based upon their papers that is what will be done.

If they just fail to turn up it is up to the court to decide how it will be dealt with and if any fees/costs are awarded.

"In some cases a party's failure to attend the final hearing could result in the judge ordering them to pay additional costs to the other side".

Jimmy3
Contributor
Message 24 of 25

Thank you for your prompt answers,ignorance breeds anxiety knowledge clarity,sorry if my questions seem dumb only I haven't done this before and don't know what happens in the last little bit,your answers puts my mind at rest thank you all

Jimmy3
Contributor
Message 25 of 25

This is how much a bt mistake is worth printed in today's Sunday mirror

check out the Sunday mirror 28.7.2019 page 18 in case you haven't seen I'll put verbatim here........BT says sorry for hounding disabled vet....BT has apologised to a disabled ex soldier they hounded for months over a £500 bill he didn't owe james 38 ended his broadband contract and settled up when they hiked the price but BT said he still owed £405 while it's customer advisers told him he didn't,debt collectors then demanded an extra £100,James sued and they offered £1000 which he accepted,schizophrenic James from Taunton Somerset said,it shouldn't happen to a vulnerable person...