cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Cabinet distance from residential properties

Hi all, I hope this is the right forum to ask this questions on.

Is there a legal or industry standard on the minimum distance a cabinet (Cannon for example) can be placed to a residential property.  Obviously, this type of cabinet is one of the larger ones and is used to feed town up to around 10,000 UPRN's (premises) so it gets quite loud during the summer when it is hot.

Is there a legal distance from a lived in property it has to be placed as it creates noise pollution, or not? 

Thanks 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Cabinet distance from residential properties

@BeccaAnne 

Only Openreach could answer that, as this is a BT Residential Customer Forum, and nothing to do with Openreach.

Message 3 of 12

I have tried to go via Openreach, but they don't have any channels for these type of questions. If anyone has any idea where I can find this information, please let me know as I have searched and cannot find any published information regarding distance from prems.
I am hoping that someone here may know something about this or if BT have a standard they go by. 

Message 4 of 12

Apart for FTTC , generally OR don’t use mains powered ‘street cabinets’ and certainly not one that would service 1000’s of properties.

There are many alternatives network providers, some of them use a different network architecture to Openreach, they can make much more use of powered street furniture, and then there is Virgin Media that have some fairly huge street  ‘cabinets’,

As far as the one you are enquiring about , it definitely won’t be a BT cabinet  and judging by the description it won’t be  an Openreach one either.

As a general rule , they need planning permission, so presumably the local authority agreed to the location etc.

Message 5 of 12

@BeccaAnne 

Perhaps you could upload a photo of the cabinet, as it should be possible to identify it.

Are there any adjacent mobile phone masts, as those cabinets can be quite large?

Message 6 of 12

Hey all, 

I know the make of the cabinets and now I know that BT and Openreach don't use these cabinets and that might be why I cannot find any documentation regarding official distance from properties. 
The cabinet would be this size, very large cabinets used by alt-nets.

Maybe I can't find any documentation because there is no legal standard and the companies make up standards of their own?Screenshot 2023-02-10 143023.jpg

Message 7 of 12

@BeccaAnne 

Can you take a photo of the actual cabinet that is causing the noise?

Message 8 of 12

@Keith_Beddoe
No Cabinet currently in place, just been informed by surveyor that there is a proposed location. Location is 15 meters from the premises. I believe the standard distance may be 20 meters, but like I said I can't find any legal or industry standard information on minimum distance from lived in premises.
Message 9 of 12

Its unlikely you would hear much noise, as although most cabinets have cooling fans, they are normally only audible if you are standing right nest to them.

Try standing by an Openreach fibre cabinet, you would have to be very close to hear the noise.

You wait until people start installing heat pumps, then you will have something to add to the ambient noise level.

Message 10 of 12

Thank you for the advice Keith, I was told they can get loud during the summer but if they don't that's fine