cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Cabinet not fibre enabled

I’m hoping someone can help,

I moved into my new build property in Jan 18,

as is my understanding with building regulations section 10, all new builds must be built with super fast internet at speeds of a minimum 30mbps.

ive spoken to the developer, who have told me that they have laid all correct infrastructure to allow for this, and to speak to open reach.

ive checked my cabinet, which only enables adsl, not fibre?! 

phase 1 can not get fibre, phase 2 and phase 3 can.

what can be done and who is responsible for this? As the developer are firmly suggesting that open reach are responsible for a fix.

thanks 

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Cabinet not fibre enabled

@LTaylor 

Have you placed an order with a provider yet, as without an order, Openreach will do nothing?

This is just a BT Retail customer forum, and has no connection with Openreach.

Only Openreach will know whether more infrastructure is being provided.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

It is the responsibility of the developer to sign up with Openreach otherwise how is Openreach supposed to know about it?

More info HERE.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

Yes signed up with a provider when I moved in, 2018, but just still very frustrating as no one seems to want to take responsibility, I was under the impression the developer had to sort this with open reach? But they’re not taking any responsibility 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

So if you have signed up with an ISP do you have phone and broadband? 

As already posted it is up to the developer to sort out the connection to your property with openreach  there is nothing BT Retail can do to help you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

@LTaylorwrote:

Yes signed up with a provider when I moved in, 2018, but just still very frustrating as no one seems to want to take responsibility, I was under the impression the developer had to sort this with open reach? But they’re not taking any responsibility 

Have you tried posting on the ISP's forum? They may be able to liaise with the other parties.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

as is my understanding with building regulations section 10, all new builds must be built with super fast internet at speeds of a minimum 30mbps.’

I’m interested to see this Section 10 Regulation as I’ve never heard of it.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/5177...

im just at a loss as to how the developer states they have provided infrastructure to my property, but I can only get 10mb download, and other new builds on the same estate can get fibre?!

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

You moved in Jan 2018 ?, that’s 42 months ago, are you suggesting that because it’s a relatively new build that OR are duty bound to come along and provide fibre to the premises at your request ?
FTTP does not come from a cabinet .

enter your phone number at this checker site and post the results

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you don’t have a ‘BT’ phone number why are you posting on a BT forum, BT Consumer isnt some sort of contact point for Openreach ,  OR are not the only network provider that developers use, sometimes they use alternatives to OR, and if  was OR , they provided whatever they were contracted to provide when they agreed  connection with the developers.

Its quite possible that three and a half years ago the developer didn’t request FTTP from OR so was connected up to the copper pair network, if the copper network happens to be from a cabinet that doesn’t have FTTC ( fibre to the cabinet ) or the location of the development is so far away from the cabinet that FTTC wouldn’t provide better speed than exchange based ADSL , then you are stuck , until a network provider ( maybe OR maybe someone else ) provides a method of delivering better speeds, if it’s under the USO limit , and mobile cannot provide a USO compliant speed , you could look at that.

Is any OR infrastructure present ( either a master socket for copper pair service or a ONT if FTTP ) ?, if it’s a copper pair master socket and the speed is in line with the distance from the cab or exchange but it’s less  than 30Mb , that’s not some sort of trigger that someone has to come along and improve things, regardless of what ‘section 10’ may imply.

FWIW, it’s quite common for phase one of a development to have copper , and phase 2 to be FTTP, it depends on what the developers asked for when they contacted OR, I know of a development near me with identical  houses opposite each other on the same road, but only one side has FTTP , as one side was built a year before the other  ( on different phases of the same development ) lucky for the later built property as they get a Gb FTTP if they want it, the copper pair side doesn’t, the developers selected to have FTTP on the later phase , presumably they didn’t request FTTP for the first phase even though the first phase are probably only 3-4 years old ( similar age to yours ) , but if they didn’t ask for FTTP then they wouldn’t get FTTP in 2018….

in 2021 FTTP is the default option 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

That document just refers to the cabling/infrastructure within a building and thus is down to the developer.

In any case, this isn't the appropriate forum to raise the original issue as it has nothing to do with BT Retail. The issue is between Openreach and the developer.

0 Ratings