cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MiracleMaud
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Calls from 0203 1988103

Has anyone else had calls from this number purporting to be from BT, wanting to "fix "my very insecure computer and broadband connection" ?

I'm about to call BT to ask about this, and if necessary to block the number, because no end of politely declining their offers to "share my screen and fix it" is working, but thought it might be worthwhile throwing out there for comment too.

Hopefully, I'm the only one in this boat, although I doubt it.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
lazyllama
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Calls from 0203 1988103

Not had it myself but it looks like plenty of other people have been called by these scammers.
https://www.shouldianswer.co.uk/phone-number/02031988103

MiracleMaud
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

BT confirmed they never call in an unsolicited manner, so it wasn't them.

I have still to manage to get through to the area that can block the call from reaching me.  It's all very well using caller display, but one this morning was at 7am, and if I hadn't been up, I wouldn't have been pleased!

Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 9

@MiracleMaud wrote:

Has anyone else had calls from this number purporting to be from BT, wanting to "fix "my very insecure computer and broadband connection" ?

I'm about to call BT to ask about this, and if necessary to block the number, because no end of politely declining their offers to "share my screen and fix it" is working, but thought it might be worthwhile throwing out there for comment too.

Hopefully, I'm the only one in this boat, although I doubt it.

Unfortunately a common scam, and even more unfortunately people get caught out - allow access to the scammer who then uses something like teamviewer to run amok on the user's computer. They say there are nasty viruses, will start deleting files or uploading keyloggers etc and charge huge amounts to say they've cleaned it etc.

They can say they are from Microsoft and other folk.

I know of someone using a Mac that had one of these scam calls, and paid hundreds of pounds to the scammer - and had to pay almost as much to get their Mac fixed!

Anyone receiving these calls should ask the scammer what exactly is happening, how do they know - and I feel best of all ask them for your current IP address. They will be unable to answer.

I've strung many people along.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Tell them you don't have a computer or an Internet connection so you't be interested to know how they could fix something you don't have.

Let us know their reply. 

dawning
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Yeah, unfortunately, this number has been used by those scammers even since last month. I can find some reports filed under that number last month at http://www.whycall.me/02031988103.html. I think you can just block the number. Also, one simple suggestion, just don't answer any call if it comes from number you don't recognize, or without any prior appointment.

stevebrass
Expert
Message 7 of 9

We don't answer unknown numbers - if it is genuine the caller will leave a message.
Our phone has one ringer sound for known numbers. Everything else gets a different tone.

If you do get one of these calls either

String them along and then hang up.

Or just hang up. You do not owe them politeness.
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 8 of 9

@stevebrass wrote:
We don't answer unknown numbers - if it is genuine the caller will leave a message.
Our phone has one ringer sound for known numbers. Everything else gets a different tone.

If you do get one of these calls either

String them along and then hang up.

Or just hang up. You do not owe them politeness.

Many phones will block specific numbers.

A hang up on these calls works eventually. It's a case of how long it takes. Eventually they just give up, and this was eventually effective here with a caller who apparently had put out 3 million calls.

Keeps you fit!

pompey1898
Expert
Message 9 of 9

@gg30340 wrote:

Tell them you don't have a computer or an Internet connection so you't be interested to know how they could fix something you don't have.

Let us know their reply. 

A response of "which one, we have 40 here" usually results in them hanging up instantly.