cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Can I get internet through an NTE5 port in my room?

Go to solution

Hello. I apologise if this is posted often but I've scoured the internet and can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for.

I moved into a new-build house that was setup with BT Openreach. It has a patch panel with four phone lines and four ethernet ports by the router. Some of the bedrooms have an RJ45 port in the wall and some have the NTE5 one. In my room there's an NRE5 port but - sine I don't use a home phone - I really wanted an RJ45 port (or something that can give me internet access).

My question is, is there anyway to have full speed, wired internet in my room? Will replacing the faceplate with an RJ45 one do anything? I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to the cabling and I haven't bee able to find any info online on whether it uses the same type of cable. Would an RJ45 to NTE5 cable from the router and another from the port in my room to a second router do anything? I've currently set up a second router for one of the other rooms that has an RJ45 port as an access point but there's no convenient way to connect it to my PC.

I'm not sure if I'm asking the right questions here but ideally I'd like to have a wired connection in my room without having to run long ethernet cables from the other rooms. I've tried a PowerLine and it was awful for me (dropped signal and speeds worse than WIFI.

Thank you for any help!

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Can I get internet through an NTE5 port in my room?

Go to solution

are you a BT Retail customer or with another ISP

where are the other ethernet connections which are connected to the patch panel?

sounds like your socket is just for phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution
Thanks for your reply!
I'm currently with another ISP (Hyperoptic). I know where two of the other ethernet connections are but not the other two. One is in the living room and another in a different bedroom. Neither of them are convenient for connecting to my room.
Does the phone wiring in the home use some form of cat cable or is it a cable type that can only be used for phones?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

@joespogtry wrote:
Thanks for your reply!
I'm currently with another ISP (Hyperoptic). I know where two of the other ethernet connections are but not the other two. One is in the living room and another in a different bedroom. Neither of them are convenient for connecting to my room.
Does the phone wiring in the home use some form of cat cable or is it a cable type that can only be used for phones?

This is a BT Retail customer forum.

Try asking here https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/hyperoptic.html

Thanks

0 Ratings