cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Can I move my BT number to an active Plusnet line - House move

Go to solution

I am moving house and would like to take my landline number with me.

The house that I am moving from, BT supply phone and broadband. The house that I am moving to, Plusnet supply the phone and broadband - Both accounts are in my name and are mid-contract. I understand that I will need to cancel the BT contract and pay any early termination charges but is it possible to move/keep/transfer my number to the Plusnet line?

Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Can I move my BT number to an active Plusnet line - House move

Go to solution

@milgo 

That is something you will have to ask Plusnet, as this is a BT Retail customer forum.

Try asking on the Plusnet forum.

Plusnet Forum - Index | Community Site

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

As already stated if it’s PN , you need to speak to them , but
If both addresses are not connected to the same exchange, the answer is no.
If both are connected to the same exchange then it’s possible but not the way you suggest and if the idea is to avoid ETC then that’s not going to happen.
You would have to transfer your BT service to Plusnet at the address that has currently has BT, ensuring number port is used to keep the number , this starts  a new contract with PN ( at this point you have 2 PN services ) , you then organise a home move with PN from one address to the other , at the target address ( the one that currently has PN ) the existing PN service will either cease because of the home move or you may have to cease it yourself if you don’t get any notification from PN about the line being taken over ( even though it’s PN taking it over ), this should move the number from address A to address B.

If you are in contract with BT , there will be ETC, when PN take over the service , and if the existing PN service at the second address is in contact there will be ETC as well when you takeover that service ( even though it’s both PN ) , although you may be able to negotiate that away ( as the new service is also PN ) but chances are automatic invoices will be raised by BT and PN, as well as being in a new minimum term with PN , but don’t be surprised if it goes wrong.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Thank you for taking the time to reply in such detail. Both numbers are on the same exchange.  It sounds like it could be asking just a little too much to expect my plan to work.  I am fully aware that ETC will apply on one or other contracts and it was never my intention to avoid them.

I've been very happy with my BT fibre service and I suppose ultimately would prefer to keep it and move it to the new address but with 7 months left on BT and 11 left on PN then the cheaper option is more attractive.

Can a BT number be parked? On a Voip service for example?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
You cannot ‘park’ the BT number but porting to a VOIP provider should be possible and then you can use the number via a broadband connection wherever you want, it’s not obvious if that would by default cease your BT Broadband or simply renumber it, you would have to check with whatever VOIP provider you chose.
0 Ratings