cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lesbornais
Message 1 of 7

Cancelling and moving to a new phone supplier

Both myself and my parents are in the process of moving to plusnet for both phone and fibre. We currently have phone lines with BT and broadband with Madasafish.

My fibre was provisioned today (16th Nov) and I've been given the 30th Nov as the date for my phone to switch from BT to Plusnet.

What do I need to do apart from cancel the direct debit to BT?

Who do I contact by email as I don't really fancy wasting hours trying to explain to someone in India that I'd like to cancel to go to another supplier or is there a weay to speak to somebody here in the UK tomorrow!!

My parents are on a regular monthly DD and current pay £32 a month to BT - this is far in excess of the £21-22 a month they actually use - how do they get a refund on the money thats currently sat in their account earning BT interest.

The old fella is having kittens about just pulling the DD, which is what I fully intend doing. I've done it plenty of times in the past with insurance firms and other DD bills.

6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Cancelling and moving to a new phone supplier

If you would like to try Live Chat they should be able to help you.

lesbornais
Message 3 of 7

Thanks Keith - shall give that a go in the morning.

Heres to hoping the BT'er on the other end is clued in and switched on. Have had good experiences of Live Chat with Sky in the past.

Am I correct BT will know about my impending departure via the Plusnet request to take over the line on the 30th?

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Sorry, I am not sure of the changeover process these days, maybe someone else can answer that question on this forum?

lesbornais
Message 5 of 7

We are actually quite sad to be leaving BT - I've been with them for about 10 years, the old fella probably 40 odd!! - but £32 a month for just the phone broke the camel's back especially when fibre became available in our area. The old man just needed showing what he could get instead.

He was paying £47 a month for phone and BB of about 1.5Mb!

Plusnet works out to be way less than £30 a month for phone and a tip top fibre offer. That swung it for my old man - so much so much so he paid my plusnet phone rental for a year in advance!

My initial speeds are 'low' at 37Mb but thats a huge improvement for a wedge less cash.

geo1986
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

You don't need to do anything really BT cancel the direct debit for you when the last debts taken. You can get unlimited calls, fibre and line rental from BT for £33 on the 40 gb a month package
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

@lesbornais wrote:

He was paying £47 a month for phone and BB of about 1.5Mb! 

You seem to be saying that your parents' package is £47, the DD is £32, and the actual usage is £22. What have I got wrong?

Anyway, £47 for BB and phone is ridiculous; that's a couple of quid less than I pay for landline, free calls any time, 40GB BB, BT Vision (PAYG), Sky Sports 1&2, ESPN. Also, the DD payments should not be 50% more than actual cost; it's easy enough to change.

I wish you all the best with Plusnet, but it does look as though your parents need to keep an eye on their services and costs once the initial minimum term is up.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.