cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Checking speeds for some of my villagers

I am potentially at logerheads with BT/Openreach over the roll out of FTTP

So I am trying to establish the expected speeds for a number of my villagers.  Unfortunately some of them appear to not be BT customers so the ADSL checker does not work. 

Is there a way of establishing the expected speeds for non BT customers please ?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Checking speeds for some of my villagers

TBH, if they are not BT customers, why would they ( or you ) be here on a BT Consumer forum, whatever provider they use would be a more appropriate forum.

Openreach isn’t BT , if you want to enquire about  Openreach network rollout , then it’s OR you need to enquire with, BT Consumer have no more influence on what OR chose to do, than ( for example ) Sky, TT or any other provider.

BT Wholesale ( not BT Consumer) checkers have address options if the phone number isn’t valid because it’s not a BTw number

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

If it is FTTP the speeds will be for the product that they pay for. It is not an estimate.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Hi @iniltous ,

The address checker ( as it states ) is not really accurate enough for what I am looking for.

Hi @gg30340 ,

I am in disagreemnt with Openreach as to the download speeds residents in a particular area are achieving.  These are wanted in order to ascertain if they are below 30Mbps and therefore eligible for upgrade to FTTP. 

The area has been generally Fibre cabled for about 2 years.  We have now entered the phase where actual connection to the specific properties is underway.

Hope this makes sense

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

So , presumably, you are in an area that already has FTTC , and better than 30Mb is generally available , although you dispute that.
The USO is for 10Mb download, so unless you are claiming that some get less than than , and a usable 4/5G mobile signal that can deliver 10Mb or better is also unavailable, then OR cannot be bullied into upgrading the network by claiming it’s a ‘not spot’, and in contravention of the USO, even if it were , the individual would need to invoke the USO process.

If you dispute the estimates that OR provide ( although why would they deliberately  misrepresent the speed available,  given that it’s the basis for the minimum  speed guarantees ) , if they say the general area speed is better than it actually is , no one is can be held to a ‘contract’ , if the contract states  a minimum that cannot be achieved.

If your community is keen to ‘jump the queue’ as far as OR FTTP rollout, you could always investigate a CFP ( community funded project ) where OR indicate the commercial expenditure they would undertake for the area , the gap to the actual construction costs is paid by the CFP members , and if the Government have deemed the area to be suitable ( genuinely a low speed area ) then vouchers can be claimed to offset the cost, in many cases the vouchers more than cover the difference, meaning the CFP members get what they want without costing them anything…of course , if the area generally already gets 30Mb , then it’s unlikely the Government will chip in, and the CFP members can decide if the expense is worth it.

Any existing customer can examine their router stats to see what the max attainable rate is, ( if they disbelieve the estimate) the actual rate can depend on many things, some of which are the end users responsibly…if you are a BT customer , post your own router stats,

Property served from the same ‘DP’ will get ( assuming no faults ) will get similar speeds providing they are on the same wholesale product from OR ,and are reasonably close to each other,  obviously the further someone is away from the cabinet ( with FTTC ) the slower the speed, in some rural areas this can be significant.

If your enquiry is for addresses than currently don’t have any service at all (based on OR infrastructure) then the address checker is the only indicator of the expected speed, customers of Sky , TT or anyone else frankly have no business on a BT Consumer forum, and should liaise with their own ISP .

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

I would say that the above post by iniltous has pretty much covered everything.

It would be down to each resident to report a fault to their own ISP if the feel that they are not achieving the download speeds that they are contracted to receive and it would be up to their ISP to investigate the problem, if there is one, and liaise with Openreach to resolve the problem. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Hi @gg30340 ,

Yes @iniltous has posted a lot of information but, whilst I am sure it is accurate, does not solve the issue in hand.  That is almost certainly due to me not explaining the situation as clearly as I am able, or would like, to. 

I will try again and give as much detail as I am able to.

Via some BDUK funding, Openreach were committed to providing FTTP to a defined number of properties within my village.  This has been an ongoing situation for about 2 years.  A lot of fibre cables were laid leading to the area in question.  There have been activation dates repeated given that have been put back in 6 month increments.  This last date was given as 30th June 2021.

In the early months of this year there were various teams doing a lot of work.  Over a few days in Jan/Feb was was able to have some meaningful discussions with a supervisor working on behalf of OR.  He explained that whilst there several lengths of fibre cable laid to the area in question it would be another team that would join them all up.  It also required the installation of 10 poles, this was done over two days.

So, everything is in place and some properties were connected in the early days of July.  The issue now is that OR are now saying they are not prepared to install FTTP to premises that already get =>30Mbps.  This proviso was never made at the outset and  is therefore the basis of my disagreement with OR.

So all I was asking with my question is "how do I find the speeds of these individual properties please ?"  You need to be aware that I do not personally know any of the people concerrned.

So apologies for the length of this post and errors of any sort.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

@pompey1898 wrote:

So all I was asking with my question is "how do I find the speeds of these individual properties please ?"  You need to be aware that I do not personally know any of the people concerrned.

you are not going to find the answers you are after unless you go and speak to the people concerned and for all you know maybe many of then do not have internet or are in the least concerned at the speed they are receiving.

so let your legs do the walking and visit the people who may or may not be concerned

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

If the checker isn't accurate enough then the only option is to to design a questionnaire explaining what and why you want the info and just canvass the properties involved. Hopefully you get enough responses .

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

@pompey1898 ,

Does your own Bt dsl checker show that your are on a priority exchange for fttp?

Locally we have had the fibre cable laid to the home, (around 2 - 3 months ago). This was done in 2 stages, two teams, so can assume that we are waiting for final install to the home.

However, locally the dsl checker still states “not a priority exchange”.......new builds 2 miles away, are on fttp.

It’s going to be a long wait, possibly. I had a few conversations with neighbours who saythat they are not worried either way. Depends on your neighbourhood, and age group. We  are waiting Community scheme to come into action.

It’s a shame, but on the other hand, there’s no more changes of hubs, possible digital voice install, Halo 3+ , etc. Around 58 Mbps locally, which is sufficient for the time being. The new builds seem to be given “priority”.

Good luck!

0 Ratings