cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 13

Re: Checking speeds for some of my villagers

As per the above answers. You will only get an accurate test result if each line is tested individually as all lines are individual  ie length, joints, age etc.

Openreach will possibly be aware of the average speeds to each property and they will have given the 30Mbps download cut off in the knowledge that the properties can obtain that speed and even if a few can not, being a commercial company they will have looked at the cost vs returns and have decided it is not viable at this time to supply FTTP.

It has already been pointed out that the USO only commits to supply 10Mbps so Openreach are well over that obligation if they have given a 30Mbps cut off.

In my opinion there is nothing further that this forum can do to assist you in your quest and you should perhaps rais the matter with who ever arranged the BDUK funding.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 13

Hi @gg30340 ,

Many thanks again for your input.  I have done some more investigation of the availability checker as advised by you and others on this thread.

It has given me the ammunition I have to go back to OR.  In some cases they are offering FTTP to some below 30Mbps, others FTTpod, and some with even less than 5Mbps still only ADSL or FTTC.

I may just post here once we get a result from OR

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 13

FTTPod is a  product, where , if someone is prepared to individually pay the construction costs they can have a FTTP service installed , BT Consumer don’t offer this OR product , some other ( niche ) providers do.

When someone pays , and a FTTPod service is provided , it possible that other property’s that can be served from the same ‘fibre DP’  (that the FTTPod customer paid for )  can get native FTTP, ( lucky for them )  the person paying FTTPod gets a discount on the construction costs  for these other neighbouring property’s        ( £50/property ) , that’s regardless of them actually taking up FTTP or not ,  but as the costs are usually £10K+ for FTTPod , its not likely to make much difference, 6 neighbours benefiting only gets £300 off the construction bill.

I’m not sure what you think you have uncovered , if ( especially in a rural area ) a copper DP could well  serve disparate customers , some getting above 30Mb and some below, ( some customers could be hundreds of meters further away from the DP than others)  but if  if becomes a fibre DP, then all the customers off that DP can get FTTP regardless of what speed they get on FTTC or ADSL, because FTTP isn’t affected by distance.

l what I still cannot fathom is why you think 30Mb is some sort of trigger level for FTTP , Ofcom regard 30Mb and above as Superfast, Hyperfast being 300Mb or better, but it’s not the case that anyone below 30Mb can demand faster speeds as a right, what does seem odd to me is why BDUK funded FTTP to the area if 30Mb FTTC was already available , unless although neighbours , some were E/O and wouldn’t benefit from FTTC, ( basically an E/O line doesn’t have a cabinet in the route and are relatively difficult and costly to be commercially viable for native FTTP or any other solution to provide faster speeds )

TBH, I suspect that because the FTTP ‘PON’ was BDUK funded , it’s them that stipulated only customers that were getting poor speed ( and no definition considers 30Mb poor ) should benefit , once the network is provided , some within range of it may want to avail themselves of it, but if BDUK have ruled out those getting 30Mb or better , then that’s BDUK’s rule…chances are OR cannot simply regard this BDUK funded ‘PON’ as their own so have to refuse customers already getting ‘Superfast’ speeds from other commercially provided assets, it’s possible that if they did connect those getting 30Mb or better, then BDUK can claim back what they paid OR for the provision of the  ‘PON’ in the first place.

0 Ratings