cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Connection to a BT pole

Go to solution

Hi,

I have a new build going up just now and want to ensure wiring is there so that I dont have holes drilled to put in a new BT line at a later date for broadband. This would be a potential backup to a 4G router that I have currently set up (speeds are betteron the 4G where I am located)

Anyway, looking just to confirm the BT cable that I need. This cable will go from the building to the BT pole in my garden and I assume connect by a BT engineer at a later date

Hope someone can advise.

Thanks

Jim

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Connection to a BT pole

Go to solution

you should contact openreach

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/contactus/newhomes/newhomes.do

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Obviously, a telegraph pole would usually provide an overhead service to a building, but occasionally a cable can be ran down the pole (from the top to the bottom) and then enter an underground ‘duct’ that runs to the building ( better from an aesthetic point of view but practically no different than an overhead feed) …obviously if this is something you would prefer you would have to contact OR for the duct , and install it to the correct depth of cover etc. at your own expense….chances are it would come up against the external wall so you would still need a hole in the wall to get a cable from outside to inside, as well as potentially some sort of external block on the wall where the cable type changes from external to internal.

If you don’t have the wherewithal to do this duct install , then a standard install from a pole would be done ( in other words an overhead dropwire from the pole to property ) provided the existing pole isn’t so far away from the newly build property that it exceeds the permissible span length.

You would have to make an order for service to start the process , they won’t do anything without an order driving this along.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks for reply.

Jim

0 Ratings