cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
therealbraderz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 17

Re: Customers should be able to choose whether they want DLM interventions or not

I have a question.

Does the amount a connection is actually used have an effect on how well DLM adjusts?

I.e a connection that has been up for 5 days but has been mostly idle vs a connection that has been up for 5 days but has been using a high percentage of it's bandwidth over that time.

The logic here is more data transmission = more accurate and quicker measurement of the rate of errors.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 17

Re: Customers should be able to choose whether they want DLM interventions or not

therealbraderz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 17

I have read that before, and going by that the amount you use the connection makes no difference to DLM.

Surely it would be beneficial if it did?
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 17

Errors on the line can be there even when no data is being transmitted so it is irrelevant if you use it or not.

Highlighted
Jim3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 17

There is nothing you can do.

Openreach are aware that some lines do get stuck on sub-optimal profiles, despite line improvements (that court case that BT lost led to changes to the way DLM moves profiles up/down). They are implementing a number of changes to address this, some of which should go live next month.

It does look like ISPs will 'soon' be able to force DLM to reset, but I cannot give you a date. Changes to the DLM algo next month should hopefully make things better for you if you're line is performing well.

Not my info.

Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 17

adsl users can have their profiles reset by BT Consumer only Fibre services can be reset by Openreach
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 17

At the moment yes John. That may, or may not be due to change, along with a more relaxed DLM with reference to banded profiles and the length of time it takes for DLM to relent.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’