cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Digital Inclusion Project for Older People

Go to solution

Hi, I am planning on purchasing some Alexa Echo's, Dot's and Shows for our local carers of people with dementia. The plan would be to support them with a digital buddy who can get them on line and using these for some clear purpose of entertainment, calming, and for structuring and routines. They have been used before for this, and think it can be beneficial for some of our carers and potentially sow the seed to try other pieces of equipment that could benefit. However, if the person has not got internet - what is the best way forward. Sorry if this is a silly question- would they need to get broadband into the property? or can they use the alexas a different way with prepaid data (which would concern me if there wasn't enough or it got used up too quickly).

Be great to hear your views.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Digital Inclusion Project for Older People

Go to solution

With all the amazon products I have always set up they need access to the Internet via WiFi. 

So your suggestion off loaded data would not work I am afraid. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @DigitalBuddies and welcome.

Can I first say what a fantastic idea this is. Huge kudos to you. I suspect most care homes would have some sort of internet connection so it might be worth discussing with them. If it's a home patient it would need the connection as per @Devon_Dave  advice. Either way, the very best of luck to you with this.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi 

Thank you for your reply. Many care homes do have internet although not all so work to be done there. However, the project I aim to do will be with people in their own homes. So in some cases they won't have internet access, so it appears that I will need to factor that in. Whether we build the cost say of 6 months/1 year into the bid per person as many people don't want to take out more contracts. It will be a very individual situation that I will need to consider. So thank you for your comments. I wonder if BT would enable us to do that pay up front for  rental of internet connection with a view to seeing how it goes. To be honest, if it works there are lots of future options available to people living in their own home which will enable them to continue to do so for many more years. So thankyou for you valuable response and comments. Lots for me to consider. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you for taking the time to respond. It is appreciated. 😊

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Digital Inclusion Project for Older People

Go to solution

Hi all

I wrote about this project that I am keen to get off the ground in our local community. We are keen to introduce Alexa's to people or their carers who have memory loss. I am costing this out and plan to purchase Alexa's as a pilot. From previous advice it appears that the person would require internet access. So, I am thinking that potentially if someone hasn't got internet access that we fund one years worth to get the person started. Is this something BT would consider, and if in the event that the person no longer requires this (dies or goes into a care home) then the contract can cease, or the person can continue their contract with BT for internet access. Is this something that I could set up with BT- any thoughts will be helpful. 

This is an attempt for people to be introduced to digital solutions and plant the seed. There are lots of digital solutions going forward that could benefit the person and enable them to remain independent at home for as long as possible. 

Thank you.  

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Are you asking the same question to other ISPs  to see if you can get soameone intertested?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings