Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 1 of 6

Eclipse

The excitement of the eclipse across the USA is now over.

The coverage on the BBC TV news was good, not too sensational.

I had some photos mailed across overnight.

Unfortunately the weather dampened the view in Kansas, just at those moments in a location where there was totality. .

There's an interesting picture from Pittsburgh, where there was 80% coverage.

The sun shining through the trees created a pinhole effect, and cast images on the pavings.

Presumable others have pictures???

There was nothing to see here,as the sky was overcast.

Kansas eclipse2.JPGKansas  eclipse1.JPGPittsburgh eclipse (2).jpg

5 REPLIES 5
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 2 of 6

Re: Eclipse

Thanks for sharing, I particularly like the first photo.

I have not one but two sets of relatives currently in the US visiting different parts of the country, so I'm hoping between the four of them I'll see some photos from them. If I do I'll post them here!

It was a wet and miserable day here yesterday so there was no hope of catching even a glimpse of the event.

Community ModeratorStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
Takahashi
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Even if the weather had behaved here you would have seen nothing without a telescope/binoculars fitted with a solar filter. The track of totality for this eclipse was less than 70 miles - so the further away from this track the less of an eclipse you will see. The track width depends on distance the moon happens to be from earth at the time of eclipse. Unfortunately a tiny sliver off the bottom of the sun would have been your lot from UK.

Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 6

@Takahashi wrote:

Even if the weather had behaved here you would have seen nothing without a telescope/binoculars fitted with a solar filter. The track of totality for this eclipse was less than 70 miles - so the further away from this track the less of an eclipse you will see. The track width depends on distance the moon happens to be from earth at the time of eclipse. Unfortunately a tiny sliver off the bottom of the sun would have been your lot from UK.

There were some artistic images shown on the BBC, as taken in Cornwall, showing the sunset over the sea.

My image of the sun casting images through the trees on to the pavings was apparently interesting for some, and is shown on BBC News pages today - more effective in areas where there was only 80% of the sun covered.

It's much more striking on a video, where the cresents are seen to be moving with the wind.  

Message 5 of 6

Hi all,

I thought the eclipse images from the space staion were fantastic. This one in particular caught my attention.

Image result for eclipse from space photo

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 6 of 6

I saw this on Reddit, made me chuckle:

"It stormed during the eclipse so my dad improvised" 

@DavidM I hadn't seen images of the shadow cast over Earth, that's amazing.

Community ModeratorStephanie
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You