Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 31 of 51

Re: Experiences with Openreach Community Fibre Partnership for FTTP

Nothing to add - I withdraw nothing. Our readers can draw their own conclusions whether the way in which Fibre broadband is being rolled out in this country is anything like acceptable and the extent to which the market remains distorted by BT and Openreach. But I’m happy  to let you have the last word...I hope it makes you feel even more superior than you already do......you’ll probably get promoted to Grand Master now!

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 51

There is no market distortion, collusion, or agenda,  the clear plain and simple fact is this,  the majority of the major UK ISP's have made the business decision NOT to offer FTTP Products, that's neither Openreach's or BT's problem, they are willing to provide you with a service.

Have you considered venting your frustrations out to the other ISP's Forums and asking them when they are going to start selling Openreach FTTP?

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 33 of 51

Read the title of the thread.  I have reported on our experience. You are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.  If you don't think the dominance in the market of BT and Openreach (which remain part of the same Group despite the 'separation') still distorts the market that's fine. If you think that being tied to 24-month Fibre contracts for FTTP services in a market where there is only one mainstream provider is right, that's fine also.  If you think that the price of FTTP Fibre services won't come down when other ISPs eventually join the market, as they surely must, then you are very naive - but do spare a thought for those of us who will still be tied to our 24-month BT contracts for another 18 months....  

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 34 of 51

If , for example , Vodafone had decided , for whatever reason, ( probably not the economics , but perhaps as an area to test their processes, or a Vodafone director lived close by) to provide FTTP infrastructure in your area, and offered you service over it, but you had no choice whatsoever with the ISP you could use, so its Vodafone or you don’t get access, would you ( and be honest with yourself , I don’t expect to to necessarily post your response here ) be happier ?, I suspect you would, the lack of choice, the monopoly position, the potential to be held ‘hostage’ wouldn’t be an issue, you would just be grateful that they bothered, you may even venture onto community forums, saying how brilliant it was.
In my opinion, underlying in  your posts , I would suggest a resentment towards OR and BT, but if it were not for them, you would be using ADSL technology , albeit with the choice to use your preferred ISP , with the speeds the distance you are from the DSLAM dictates , and after re reading your original post, your financial contribution was in fact a tax payer provided grant , so getting FTTP didn’t actually cost you any more than myself or anyone else.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 35 of 51

My 'resentment', as you put it, is about the fact that the government has allowed the national broadband infrastructure to develop or not at the whim of the commercial interests of the BT group and, yes, the ISPs who have been allowed to pick and choose where they roll-out fibre broadband and provide the associated services where it suits them - nand not the population at large - and often in an arbitrary, discrminatory and restrictive manner that protects their interests and keeps prices high.  It's as if our neighbours are allowed running water and electricity but we must make do with latrines and candles whilst paying the same prices.  'Grateful'? Hell no!  

Anyway as this 'community' appears to be nothing more than a BT appreciation society where no other opinions are tolerated I will be asking the Admin to delete my account and its posts.  If hope you all enjoy the mutual back-slapping that will no doubt continue in this echo chamber.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 36 of 51

Could a Mod or Admin please delete my account and remove my posts in this Community - as there appears to be no way to do this from within my account settings.  Thank you.

Highlighted
Message 37 of 51

Hi @Anonymous sorry to hear you want to delete your profile. Please would you send a message to SeanD the Community Manager and he will arrange this for you.
You will find his details at: https://community.bt.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/13

Thanks
John

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 38 of 51

Thanks
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 39 of 51

Bluejet99 thank you for your contributions, you've responded to the original question in the thread i.e what are your experiences of CFP. I urge you not to delete your posts or profile, your contributions are valuable, readers can interpret them however they wish to.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 40 of 51

Bluejet, I get what you're saying. Without knowing how much OR charges BT for offering FTTP services vs other ISPs, it's hard to say whether it's a level playing field, but it doesn't look great on the face of it knowing that the two are affiliated on some level.

I appreciate you sharing your experience of the CFP. It has filled the blanks on a few unknowns for me, ones our CFP account manager seems reluctant to answer.