Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 67

Re: Experiences with Openreach Community Fibre Partnership for FTTP

@christo_m wrote:

The download speed is workable, barely. The real question is what do you do with 0.8mbps upstream.

That is what I get on my ADSL connection. Its not a problem unless you want to upload video content. I use Google Drive, and that runs in the background if I need to upload stuff.

If you are getting 0.8mbs upstream, then you must be on ADSL2+, so your download speed is probably quite reasonable.

If your neighbours are getting the same, then you may have a struggle to get enough people to contribute to the installation cost, and then the backhaul charges, assuming you can find an ISP willing to supply it.

From Openreach site

"As soon as the infrastructure is live, you’ll need to contact your preferred communications provider to upgrade to fibre "

"Your community's fibre solution will be part of the Openreach network, you can shop around for the best deal to meet your needs, with no tie to a particular provider"

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 67

Did you read the case studies https://communityfibre.openreach.co.uk/case-studies

Lots of guidance there.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 13 of 67

I’m starting out on the same scheme for 246 houses and at present we have 91 signed up.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 67

Are you going door to door to get sign-ups? How do you organise the admin, comms and getting sign ups for a large number of homes?

We have a similar number of homes and our process stalled as its quite a lot of work to get sign-ups, talk to each household etc. Also the ballpark figure OR gave us was quite high even after their "included" discount so it seems to have stalled.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 15 of 67

Hi, how are you doing with this? I have just started looking for our village and I don’t know where to start. I’d appreciate any help/advice as I Only heard about the scheme after quickline (satellite provider in our area) did a leaflet drop wanting our vouchers! This is not going to be good for the village I’m pretty sure of it!  

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 67

@Zefeena  you may be best mentioning @pimpmycode  in your post, as they have not been on the forum for a while.

If you look at https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/community-fibre-partnerships/how-to-apply-for-a-cfp

It should give you some idea how to proceed.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 17 of 67

We have recently completed a CFP in our community of about 100 houses of which about half had expressed interest.  The project was fully-funded from a mixture of grants and vouchers that were available at the time that we applied.  I think the 2 main issues that we came across were:

1. Openreach requires to contract with a 'legal entity' for a CFP.  In our case there was no suitable existing 'legal entity' that was appropriate so we created a Community Interest Company limited by guarantee.  This was fairly easy and cheap to do and limited our liabilities as Director to £1!  As we did not need to raise funds and the CiC has no assets, the 'accounting' is easy and we will close the CiC down as soon as the project is finalised.

2. Openreach terminates the fibre at various points within 150m of every property. In our case this was mostly on existing poles or underground chambers.  Almost no excavation was involved.  Once the CFP is complete and  households then order a fibre service, the ISP gets Openreach to make the connection from the termination point to the house.  However, we have found no ISPs in our area - other than BT - that are willing to offer fibre services on this basis - presumably because they would have to incur the cost of connection from the termination point to the house. We think this creates - in effect - a monopoly for Openreach/BT that we are unhappy about.  We have taken this up with Openreach and await their response.  That is not to detract from the fact that we now have a fibre infrastructure installed at no cost to us, but we would like more choice of ISP!!         

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 67

Hi Bluejet,

Thanks for sharing your experience of the community fibre project. I have an initial quote for a project in our area which would serve approx 30 houses. Like you, if enough people sign up, it could be entirely funded by the government gigabit voucher scheme. 

The T&Cs on the voucher scheme suggests than any residents making a claim must enter into a minimum 12 month contract for a full figure broadband package. Was this your experience and did you find it hard to get people to commit to that?

Also, were there additional costs to connect each individual property to the distribution point once ther project eased complete?

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 19 of 67

Hi

Our scheme was intended to be funded entirely by grant (we have a school in the community) and BUSINESS gigabit vouchers (not the Residential scheme).  However, we now have a problem because one of our 3 business voucher holders has not met the requirement for a >100Mbps fibre connection and is refusing to upgrade.  A further issue in dispute is that, although the 100Mbps requirement is fairly clearly stated in the DCMS voucher Ts&Cs, it is not so clear in the contract for Fibre Partnership where it says that the voucher holders must either opt for >100Mbps OR > doubling of the speed previously obtained.  Our voucher holder says that he has met that latter requirement.  So this is now a matter of ongoing dispute!  My only advice would be that your voucher holders MUST be in no doubt what their commitment is to secure the DCMS Gigabit funding and must comply with it.    

On your other point, our experience was that the monthly cost of the fibre connection stated by BT INCLUDED the connect from the distribution point to the property - the only extra cost was £9.95 for the router box although this is stated in the BT Ts&Cs.  However, BT are notorious for moving goalposts and changing tariffs/Ts&Cs frequently, so your householders would be well-advised to check that there would be no additional connection costs.

Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 20 of 67

@Anonymous 

@Anonymouswrote:

We have recently completed a CFP in our community of about 100 houses of which about half had expressed interest.  The project was fully-funded from a mixture of grants and vouchers that were available at the time that we applied.  I think the 2 main issues that we came across were:

1. Openreach requires to contract with a 'legal entity' for a CFP.  In our case there was no suitable existing 'legal entity' that was appropriate so we created a Community Interest Company limited by guarantee.  This was fairly easy and cheap to do and limited our liabilities as Director to £1!  As we did not need to raise funds and the CiC has no assets, the 'accounting' is easy and we will close the CiC down as soon as the project is finalised.

Interesting solution to requiring a legal entity.

2. Openreach terminates the fibre at various points within 150m of every property. In our case this was mostly on existing poles or underground chambers.  Almost no excavation was involved.  Once the CFP is complete and  households then order a fibre service, the ISP gets Openreach to make the connection from the termination point to the house.  However, we have found no ISPs in our area - other than BT - that are willing to offer fibre services on this basis - presumably because they would have to incur the cost of connection from the termination point to the house. We think this creates - in effect - a monopoly for Openreach/BT that we are unhappy about.  We have taken this up with Openreach and await their response.  That is not to detract from the fact that we now have a fibre infrastructure installed at no cost to us, but we would like more choice of ISP!!         

Why are you "stuck" with one ISP, or have you only looked at the "Major" ISP's such as BT Retail (who run this forum) and for instance Sky.  There are other suppliers who would provide FTTP (which is what you are setting up) for a monthly fee, and they may charge a set up fee (which isn't unreasonable considering many are "small" providers.)

Not recommending anyone, just adding my 2p. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"