Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Extension phone socket not working

Go to solution

Hello,

I don't have BT broadband, but I figured my question may be suitable for this forum and hopefully someone can help.

I have Sky broadband and recently had some engineers (Sky and then Openreach) come to visit my home to fix an issue with my broadband. However, ever since they visited, my extension phone socket has stopped working. There's no dial tone at all now when using this socket.

The sky engineer that came changed my faceplate to the new one (it says MK4 on it and there's also "Master Socket 5C" written on the top of the socket). 

I've taken a picture of the wiring from the master socket: https://i.imgur.com/4ys9359.png 

Can anyone see anything here that might be stopping the extension socket from working? To me, it looks as if something that should be connected isn't. As I don't know, I thought I'd ask here first (also tried on Sky's own forum, but no answer yet) before fiddling about with the wires.

Appreciate any help.

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Extension phone socket not working

Go to solution

@Ezenia 

This is a BT Retail customer forum and has nothing to do with Sky or Openreach.

You would be responsible for any extension wiring, which was probably disconnected as it was interfering with your broadband.

Please could you post on the Sky User Forum and wait for a reply there.

Any advice given on this forum, could result in you being charged by Sky if it causes problems with your broadband.

Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky!

Thanks,

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

@Ezenia: I am able to help you with this. Please screw back the faceplate onto the wall box you have photographed (you are not meant to remove that) & show me the front of the faceplate with the bottom half removed and also the back of the removed bottom part.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

I only removed that because I saw no wires at all when I unclipped the faceplate. That's what led me to unscrew the two screws I saw. 

Looking at some videos about fitting extension sockets, I don't think there's an extension cable any more. The only wires I see are those in the pic. There is nothing else. 

I will get a pic for you later on if you still need it. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Where do what looks like green & grey wires going to the front go to? The blue & brown wires clipped in the back is the main landline supply.

If you see no wires connected to the faceplate you removed then you have no extension socket connected. The Sky engineer must have wrongly removed it. The extension wiring should have been connected to the blue or clear IDC on the exposed faceplate as in Linebox NTE5C User instructions - Openreach

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

In that screenshot, there's only a brown and green wire hanging (not connected to anything). The grey looks like a shadow because my phone had the torch on when it took the photo.

The wire in the landline supply looks more orange to me than brown.

I definitely didn't see anything connected when I unclipped the faceplate. I would have noticed it if it was set out like in the link provided.

It looks as if the Sky engineer got rid of it somehow. I don't know what the previous set out was because I've never paid attention to the wiring on the older socket.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Duh! Of course it's a shadow 😉!

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Someone on the Sky forum said the extension cable may have been looped into the wall and is sitting behind the master socket. That does sound likely, especially since I don't see any extension cable anywhere else. 

If it is located there, is it safe to remove the bigger screws I see in the screenshot? 

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Maybe, but it is BT OR property & you're not supposed to.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Someone told me that it is possible the extension socket has been wired to the same cable on the remaining pair (brown/green wire). Is this a possibility? They said they couldn't see any other way for it to be connected up.

Here is a photo of the extension socket wiring: https://i.imgur.com/QGk1ybc.png

My master socket is located upstairs on the 3rd floor (my room basically). Outside my room, just along the stairs, there is a box. It says "BT" on it, which I assume is where the line enters my property. The white cable you saw on the original screenshot (of the master socket) connects here.

Photo: https://i.imgur.com/ENCGOo4.png

Are you able to see anything here that might suggest it's connected to the same cable?