cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

FTTP KCOM (City Fibre) Altnet supplier

Go to solution

I live in South Holderness in Withernsea which is a BT FTTC area and KCOM have come out of their Hull Area and out a light cable (FTTP) in front of my house ...... The Question is ....... can BT connect me to that FTTP light cable

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: FTTP KCOM (City Fibre) Altnet supplier

Go to solution

If KCOM are outside their regular area, they are just an alternative network supplier , and will likely only offer their own service , ( or other ISP’s that have a wholesale arrangement with them ) , BT Consumer will not use that network , as BT Consumer only use Openreach network products

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

thank you for that....next question .....this one is a bit harder........everyone eventually will get FTTP and now KCOM have given me FTTP ......does that now mean the BT will never be able to give me FTTP

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Only Openreach can answer that.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

If you are not within what was the old Hull telephone area ( where KCOM were the incumbent) then Openreach have the right to install their FTTP network if they wanted , and chances are already have ducts/ joint boxes etc in the area , but as a commercial company they would only do so where they could make a return on the investment.

In not commercially viable areas , subsidies from Government or community contributors ( including Government vouchers ) may tempt OR ( only available  in places where alternative networks were not present and not likely to be ) so  in your case , as a KCOM FTTP is already available it makes the chances of OR prioritising the area slim , and if no OR , there will be no BT FTTP in the short term...long term who knows.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Obviously there cant be 2 light cables down my street ......where would i go in BT to get them to tell me in a letter they cant supply me........its important as KCOM are refusing to light me up and i want to see legally what I can do about it in resepect of Openreach not being able to do it anymore

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-for-home

You can here to see if Open reach support your area. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Don’t know why you think there cannot be 2 ‘light’ cables down your street ( presumably you mean fibre optic cables ) , there can be , but why would any company chose to overbuild when another company is already there ?, it’s not impossible or illegal just unlikely.

If for whatever reason the incumbent operator won’t offer you service , that’s between them and you, presumably there are alternatives, like mobile or ADSL/FTTC , and chances are BT can supply you, they don’t after offer you FTTP , just service , and if you went down the ‘10Mb universal service obligation’ for broadband , that condition is satisfied by KCOM offering FTTP.

KCOM can presumably refuse service as an alt net ( network provider and ISP ) in this area , but if they wholesale to other providers,  those other providers may offer you service over KCOM network , that’s the same with BT, if BT refused service to you  on Openreach , other providers  ( Sky , TT ) may offer service , most consumer  companies reserve the right to refuse service, Openreach customers are Communication Providers ( CP ‘s ) so that different to individual CP’s refusing consumers service , for example those who have an outstanding debt with a company can hardly insist that the company re connect them

0 Ratings