cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

FTTP or What is going on?

I live in Cheltenham and the exchange is kind of due '22 - '25

However I note that a company called Netomania is going ahead installing (FTTP)
"In Cheltenham alone, it is looking to provide full-fibre broadband to 80,000 homes at a cost of £24million"
Those homes (80,000) are Cheltenham!
"We are already building in Cheltenham, and looking to connect our first homes in the coming weeks."
Netomnia is aiming its services at UK towns, including Cheltenham and Stroud, which it says have been forgotten by other broadband providers.
Netomania has only 1 (one) ISP included.

In addition City Fibre is also going to include (FTTP) to residential.

So if The cabling is installed down a street you accept the ISP or wait for another installer.

It seems strange to me that BT is not concerned by this 'intrusion' or are there going to be multiple cable lanes.

David

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: FTTP or What is going on?

Remember its Openreach not BT Retail that install FTTP, and that would depend on whether there is any demand. If there are other providers, then Openreach may not consider it worthwhile to install their own network.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

I understand about BT/Openreach, it is the choice, or not, of ISP that concerns me🙄

David

ps. the nearest install going on is a 15 min walk away

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

It is quite possible Openreach may supply FTTP in the future, who knows? You have a choice. Go with the one provider or don't.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

So you mean go with FTTP or don't, will that be a real choice.

If, as has been pointed out, BT/Openreach does away with copper then you have to take FTTP😩

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

@DavidCowrote:

I understand about BT/Openreach, it is the choice, or not, of ISP that concerns me🙄

David

ps. the nearest install going on is a 15 min walk away

Hi @DavidCo ,

A fibre provider made a play offering FTTP in my area but the Broadband Champions saw them off as residents would have been committed to them as they would become the only ISP.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

@pompey1898 

Ah! thank you, that is exactly what I'm concerned about.

If Netomnia actually made good that figure (80,000) then they could, well anything  😠

0 Ratings