cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shought
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 7

FTTP via a telegraph pole

So I've always wondered why this hasn't exactly been done yet....

FTTP seems to always be duckted into a customer property, why do BT never do this down a telegraph pole, so FTTP is avaliable to more customers? 

6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: FTTP via a telegraph pole

Possibly because fibre is more fragile than copper.

Guru
Guru
Message 3 of 7

There are many examples where Openreach have used overhead LW fibre cables and overhead fibre drop cables to customer properties. Lots by me!

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

FTTP is delivered via telephone poles. The standard dropwire is replaced by a fibre drop tube and connects into a manifold aloft the pole. The fibre then gets blown from the fibre dp toethe customers.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Highlighted
YourEIN
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

It would make a lot of sense for Openreach, rather than go out to repair faulty / damaged cables etc. and lay new copper cables to move straight onto fibre optic and replace whenever a repair is needed. Certainly would save doing the job twice..
===========================================

1. Is hub in the right 'hole'? If you have a '2-hole' socket, put the ADSL cable into the small square hole...
2. Make sure you are connecting to the correct 'SSID' e.g. BTHub6-1234
3. If you 'work from home', use a business line, not a residential line.
Message 6 of 7

FTTP is delivered via Telephone Poles. The majority of the FTTP Network where I live and work is done overhead.

Also recently Openreach signed agreements with most of the Electricity Network Providers to put FTTP equipment on Electricity Poles.
Message 7 of 7

'It would make a lot of sense for Openreach, rather than go out to repair faulty / damaged cables etc. and lay new copper cables to move straight onto fibre optic and replace whenever a repair is needed. Certainly would save doing the job twice..'

You can't just replace random sections of copper cable with fibre. It would have to be all or nothing.