cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Fibre Infrastructure in the Street when it does not appear on the road map.

Hi All,

Over the past couple of weeks i have noticed that contractors have been installing conduit between several Openreach Manholes and the neighboring pole. Despite not being able to find any details with regards to fibre roll-out in our area i assumed that the new conduit was for fibre. 

Last Tuesday OpenReach was working on the telegraph pole over the road and i noticed that they had attached a yellow "Caution Overhead Fibre" sign to the pole. The engineer also confirmed that they had installed fibre and it should be ready for orders in the next fortnight.

The engineer also mentioned that the equipment was plug and play and all they would need to do when it comes to install would be to replace the overhead cable with fibre.

Also when out walking only 3 telegraph poles in my street appear to have been set up for fibre. I have not seen this anywhere else in the village

Has anyone come across similar instances of this. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Fibre Infrastructure in the Street when it does not appear on the road map.

I don't really understand what you question is. Why do you expect fibre infrastructure to appear on a road map?

Fibre connections are not needed to be supplied to every pole in the street.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

On our street we have electricity / street lighting down one side and telegraph down the other. Several years ago before FTTC was installed contractors were in the street migrating all of the OpenReach cabling that terminated on the electricity / street lighting over to the telegraph side. We had to call OpenReach out as the contractors had forgotten to connect our line.

Everyone's line connects to a pole. So far fibre appears to be installed on 3 poles with copper connectivity on once side of the pole and now new fibre break-out boxes on the other. As far as i can see this only provides potential connectivity to only the middle of the street. OpenReach will  have to continue to install similar to the rest of the telegraph poles up to the top and bottom of the street.

My question is, has anyone experienced similar activity where there's fibre been installed but their aria is not on the go-live maps?

To be honest i am going to keep an eye on the openreach / cabinet portal to see if anything changes in the next fortnight,  

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

In my case, it was about a month between engineers installing fibre optic cable into the road chambers to being able to order FTTP. I spoke with the engineers and they confirmed they were competing the final link on the chain as it were.

I checked here regularly, or you could check on the BT website 

From comments others have made, the various ISP's seem to update their records as to FTTP availability independently, so BT may say yes, but SKY might say no.

Good luck

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Hi @StormWarden ,

There were fibre cables laid to parts of my village about two years ago but only in the last couple of weeks have any actual connections been made.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

I have just checked the Upgrades section on the BT website and it has allowed me to upgrade to Full Fibre. 

Really strange that OpenReach only installed the fibre equipment on the 3 poles opposite my block of houses. I would have expected them to do similar on the rest whist they were at it. As mentioned previously most of the properties on the front have their lines attached to telegraph poles where as the newer houses behind me are served by underground conduit. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Excellent news!

Hope the installation goes well.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings