cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Fibre broadband which only BT can provide ?!?

I am hoping somebody can provide an answer.     Openreach website advises that I should be able to get Fibre speeds up to 60-70Mbps and also that FTTP is now available.   Woohoo I thought.   

However it seems only BT is able to provide both of those services.    My current provider TalkTalk says the max I can get is approx 30Mbps.   I have also checked a number of leading providers such as Vodafone, Sky and Plusnet (who are owned by BT) who all agree with TalkTalk that 30mbps is the best service in my area/cabinet.    

I have also gone to the broadband checker BT Broadband (btwholesale.com) provided by BT, my cabinet 23 apparently has a high d/l speed of 38.6Mbps and a low of 22Mbps.

So given this back story how and why are BT able to provide services that are better than its competition?

My postcode is BL8 1DN

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Fibre broadband which only BT can provide ?!?

@RavyDavyGravy 

Not all providers sell FTTP, but they all sell FTTC.

As you are not a BT Retail customer at the moment, its not possible to tell you what is available.

You can check here.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

As you do not have a BT phone number, you will need to use the address checker.

Please edit out your address before posting, but leave the cabinet and exchange number showing.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Hi Keith,

Thank you for the quick response.  yeah I thought that however TalkTalk do provide FTTP.   The service is called Fibre 150.

Also I need a speed checker with BT, given my postcode and telephone number, they seemed happy enough to sell me all the different options and varying speeds

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

What result did you get from the address checker?

FTTP would not be exclusive to BT Retail.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Also, if TT are selling FTTP, then you would be better posting on their forum, to see if anyone can advise. Bear in mind that Openreach are not doing any FTTP installs until at least March.

The TalkTalk Members Forums

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

I got a multitude of available packages, ranging from Fibre 1, Fibre 2 and the FTTP packages, Full Fibre 100, 300 & 900. I would expect that the postcode checker should be good enough to confirm the correct services and not wait for the order to go through by the service and at the end of it advise on well that is the best you can get. I am then stuck on a service plan which fails to deliver, at a price more expensive than other service providers.
Yeah I can cancel, but who needs the agro and has the available time for this process?
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

if using the dslchecker then most accurate of what is available to you is using your phone number followed by your address and least accurate is your post code

post the results from your address as being TT customer phone number will not work

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Good idea - have hosted on TT Community Forum. A chap has advised it is down to TT deciding to sell that service in my area. I'd have thought from a commercial perspective they would want to as they would get more money for it and from me as a customer. oh well.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

@RavyDavyGravy 

Well you know where to come now.

0 Ratings