cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

Fibre connection query

20AF2025-56F0-4BF4-9C9F-F10348BA0CCC.jpeg

Please help 

I live close (<1 mile) to my BT exchange, my neighbours around me all have Fibre BB. However my property seems to be an exception and I can only get standard ADSL (8-10mb). I have a feeling OpenReach haven’t routed my cables to the cabinet for so reason? With a family of 4 working from home and two gamers in the family this is making my life miserable 😩 

I don’t understand the attached readout. It suggests that Fibre isn’t available? But I know that it is. Can someone please help explain what’s going on here as BT are no help whatsoever

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: Fibre connection query

can you post the full result from the dslchecker - that is only the bottom part

leave exchange and cab information

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

BTChecker.PNG

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

@sundean 

The last test showed you are getting a connection speed of 21.45Mbs, so that is quite good for an ADSL connection, and more than adequate for most people. Some people on fibre (FTTC) get less than that.

As you are on an EO (Exchange Only) connection, you are not going to be able to get a faster connection. That is not likely to change.

Your connection showed Telephone number xxxxxxx on Exchange GRANTOWN ON SPEY. You posted that before you edited your post.

Other properties nearby, may be connected via a fibre cabinet.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

Thanks for your help

Not sure where 21mb result comes from? I can assure you I’ve never seen anywhere that speed. I run a Speedtest regularly (daily) and have never seen more than 12mb at best 

What does Exchange Only mean? How come my property is EO and my neighbour(s) is fibre (cabinet) then?

Its really disheartening to learn this maybe the fastest speed I ever get. It’s complete rubbish for a family of 4.  Daily arguments ugh 

Cheers

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

the 21mb is your connection speed at your hub not your download speed as seen on btspeedtester

EO mean that you are connected directly to the exchange and you need to be connected to a street cabinet to be able to get FTTC.  there is no obvious reason for you being EO bearing in mind when these connections were made they were for phone connections not broadband

you have a great connection and some people with fibre do not get that speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

Our house was built in 2005 amongst much older properties.

Well 21mb connection speed at the hub is meaningless figure to me because it does not translate into real world speed we see in our property (8-10mb). And the performance can be flakey at best. Sounds like I’m going go to have to suck it it up. Maybe waiting for 5G will eventually  be my best bet and do away with BT altogether 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

@sundean wrote:

Thanks for your help

Not sure where 21mb result comes from? I can assure you I’ve never seen anywhere that speed. I run a Speedtest regularly (daily) and have never seen more than 12mb at best 

Cheers

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

@sundean 

Use this tester, and connect using an Ethernet cable to connect.

https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

What does it show?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

I’m not able to connect to the hub with  is Ethernet currently but when I run that test on my phone it suggests 29mb and 1.4 upload. I’m in disbelief tbh

0 Ratings