cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sage
Sage
Message 1 of 5

Full fibre by 2030

G.Fast may now be put on hold due to new announcement about full fibre roll-out.

Interesting times ahead.

More HERE.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Full fibre by 2030

Good because G.Fast was only really a benefit for those living right at the cab who could already get the maximum 80/20 service.

The original plan for G.Fast was to install mini DSLAMs on the telegraph pole so that the copper only covered the last few meters, but when they changed this so that the G.Fast DSLAM was a pod on the side of the existing cabinet it ruled G.Fast out for people with longer lines.  If I recall correctly I believe 500 Meters is the ultimate maximum that G.Fast can reach, and unfortunately a lot of people live a lot more than 500 meters from their VDSL cabinet so a lot of people wouldnt have been able to upgrade to it anyway so it seems like a right waste of money to develop

Message 3 of 5

When Openreach said they plan on turning off Copper by 2025 they didn’t mean everyone having full FTTP.

What they want to do is have a similar TPON (Telephony Optical Network) like VM have now.

You’d still have a Copper Line from the PCP to your house via Single Order Generic Ethernet Access, aka Naked DSL and if you wanted a voice Line it would be Provided via VOiP. You’d get a new type NTE5c Face Plate.

I was asked to trial it but couldn’t be arsed.

As the Fibre for FTTC/G.Fast comes from the Head End Exchange and not your local Child Exchange they’d be able to close down all the smaller Child Exchanges and scrap the existing Copper E-Side Network. So instead of having dozens of E-Side Cables of up to 4800 individual Copper Pairs you can have just a handful of Fibre Cables.
Guru
Message 4 of 5

@Starwire2000wrote:
When Openreach said they plan on turning off Copper by 2025 they didn’t mean everyone having full FTTP.

What they want to do is have a similar TPON (Telephony Optical Network) like VM have now.

I was asked to trial it but couldn’t be arsed.

Really? .... I'd have snapped their hand off.   🙂

Message 5 of 5

As part of the trial I’m expected to regularly use the VOiP Service.

I spend all day at work on the phone so why would I want to spend all night and weekend talking on it?

Also the Broadband would be no different, same Router and same old **bleep** on the internet.