cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Getting Fibre to our village

Hi, I just got a leaflet through my door and Quickline are encouraging us all to sign up so they can get our giga village  vouchers. No one here has a clue, and it’s the first I heard of the voucher. We get £1500 per house and there are around 130 houses. Most of us already have quick line satellite internet which is rubbish and expensive. 

I do not think quickline have plans to put in a cabinet (seems they will connect to their mast), so I’m sure that means we will all be stuck with quickline (as we are now).

can anyone offer me any info, so I can get the best for the village and from the voucher. We are 4miles from the nearest exchange/cabinet which possibly has but fibre, I’m unsure.  I would like to get fibre into the village and to each/most premises, even if it means we need to do some of the digging ourselves! I don’t want everyone to be stuck with one provider and unable to choose. I have contacted openreach who I thought was Bt! They are asking for a list of properties to give me a price on bringing fibre, which seems far more professional than what quickline is up to! 

I need to act fast before everyone signs to give quickline the voucher - we only get one shot at this!

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Getting Fibre to our village

@Zefeena 

This is just a BT Retail customer forum, and its Openreach which provide the infrastructure.

Here is one thread which should be of interest https://community.bt.com/t5/The-Lounge/Experiences-with-Openreach-Community-Fibre-Partnership-for-FT...

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Thanks, I’m at a loss of where to get good info/advice, I seriously don’t want to learn about this, but I know if I don’t do it, no-one here will and quickline will just get our vouchers and no-one will benefit. The satellite internet is very intermittent, and with rubbish phone lines here, it’s over priced satellite  or 0.2mbps. I was hoping that if we can get a cabinet put in, we could get a decent phone connection at the same time, as we have a lot of older people here who may not be interested in fast speeds but would benefit from a landline that you can actually here the other person on!

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

I see you have posted on the thread I mentioned, as there is lots of info there, and you may get replies from other people who have applied for the scheme.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Yes, I need to work rather quickly! 130 quickline leaflets got delivered over the weekend in our community letter.  I don’t know how many sign-ups quickline need to apply for our vouchers, but once they have them then they continue to have us over a barrel!