cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Home Hub 4a and USB drive

I have an old BT Home Hub 4a in the cupboard that the previous tenant left behind. I’ve since reactivated the Internet with an alternative service provider and the supplied router does not have a USB port unlike the Home Hub.

So I thought ah, I’ll factory reset the Home Hub 4a, configure the deice with my internet service provider credentials and plug my portable USB hard drive into the Home Hub so I can access the music files across the network. Unfortunately, this has not proved as easy or straight forward…

I plugged my Windows 10 laptop using an Ethernet Cable into the Home Hub, accessed the default gateway and seen the hub has registered the presence of a USB device. However, when I go to Network Locations through Windows Explorer there is no device shown on the local network, just my laptop and the Home Hub. I’ve read on multiple threads the USB connected is assigned the name USB1 but I cannot see this.

I also ran Net View command in CMD, I get error code 53 as the response when typing the address of the default gateway. I have made sure that the laptop is discoverable on a private network but any other suggestions? I’ve also plugged in a USB flash drive that is formatted to FAT32 and still not discoverable.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Home Hub 4a and USB drive

@dme916 

Who provides your broadband connection?

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Should mention that I have not configured the Home Hub to my new ISP yet. I have just been testing the USB function and having the Home Hub act as a switch.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

@dme916 wrote:

Should mention that I have not configured the Home Hub to my new ISP yet.

You can't, it is locked to BT.