cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 19

Re: How much bandwidth/internet speed do you need?

Is it really people thinking they need a sustained speed though? Or rather that they want as fast burst speed as possible so when they download something large it can be done with minimal waiting (i.e. a 100GB game taking 8 minutes at 1.6Gbps instead of 90 minutes at 150Mbps).

I ended up going for 900/110, the 900Mbps is overkill for our purposes but I wanted as high upload speed as possible for video archiving. If BT offered something like 250/100 I'd have been fine with that instead.

Message 12 of 19

Due to having 2 Sky Stream pucks, a PS5, Smart TV etc we came dangerously close to maxing out a 120mbps G-Fast connection so moved to 500mbps Fibre. This leaves us plenty of spare bandwidth and should be enough for the foreseeable future.

Message 13 of 19

Oh yes the increase in burst speed is nice, so that there is less time waiting for downloads. But there comes a point where the download speed will start to outpace the size of files you want to download.

I'm talking of the largest packages here more than I am talking of 900mbps and below, and I'm talking more of those who think they need to be on the bleeding edge all the time:

For example, let's take a typical AA game, which is around 100-120gb today. Assuming that the server can fully saturate the 1.6gbps connection and download at that speed, it will take the game 10 minutes to download, which is very nice.

Now, if you take the shiny new 2.5gbps package being offered by 1 ISP so far, that game will take 6 minutes to download.

Even fibre 900 would take an eternity of 19 minutes to download that game. An increase of just 9 minutes...

So for now, until file sizes dramatically increase or you have a household of 20 kids, there is little point paying heavily for the highest tiers, just to shave around 10 or so minutes off the download time.

Unless of course there is a very heavy discount or it's cheaper then the current package. Then why not. 😛

But if that extra money you are thinking of paying for the largest tiers is really needed somewhere else right now, then let me assure you that you are not really missing out still being stuck with your 500 or 900mbps connection... despite how hard the ISPs try to convince you all otherwise!

Message 14 of 19

Sitting at around 37Mbps at the moment. Two phones, one iPad and an iMac. Occasional iplayer use on the tv. 37Mbps  is more than enough.

Message 15 of 19

THE NEED FOR SPEED ¦ OR NOT ?

I run on F2; but, I could run on the cheapest BT broadband product. F2 ain't broke, don't fix it.
So, I asked the question; why the need for speed ? The greatest response came from Online Gamers.
If you haven't got the fastest machine, and the fastest broadband : YOU LOSE !

BE SAFE OUT THERE !BE SAFE OUT THERE !

Message 16 of 19

I have to say I really like the style of your posts and the GIFs company pensioner! 😄

We could do with a little more Colour around here sometimes! 

I only say "sometimes" in case anyone comes around and bops me on the head for having too much fun on here. 😛

Message 17 of 19

@c64z86wrote:

I have to say I really like the style of your posts and the GIFs company pensioner! 😄

We could do with a little more Colour around here sometimes! 

I only say "sometimes" in case anyone comes around and bops me on the head for having too much fun on here. 😛

I've been berated by the 'FORUM-GLITTERATI'. It appears that using font size, coloured text and animation, makes posts difficult to read. Default text is the most utilitarian. Well they're my posts, my way. I don't chase 'kudos/ratings': to be top of the league. I just post simple queries; expecting, equally erudite replies. This is a Community Forum, open to all ?
TRIGGER LOGIC ?

Message 18 of 19

But there are rules and etiquette in these matters and 'shouting' is also frowned upon as well.
This forum is extremely useful to all of us and I don't see the point in 'glamming up' one's contributions in this way.
Message 19 of 19

@HHGTTGwrote:
But there are rules and etiquette in these matters and 'shouting' is also frowned upon as well.
This forum is extremely useful to all of us and I don't see the point in 'glamming up' one's contributions in this way.

Each-2-Their-Own ? There's still an odd freedom or three left in the world.
Anon.