cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JynnanToniq
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

How to stop BT junk mail (postal) after GDPR?

Sorry for posting here possibly inappropriately, but I thought it was as good a place as any, as there is no "unwanted marketing" forum Smiley Happy (yet).

I have asked BT 3 times over the last 2 years to stop sending me postal junk mail offering BT Infinity. Each time I was assured it was stopped, after speaking to a variety of people on the phone. I still receive a BT junk mail letter every 2-3 weeks.

I searched this forum, and Mods have been very helpful in the past via the "Contact the Mods" link, but that link now says "the Mods no longer answer questions from here"!

So, GDPR has now been enacted, and on May 25 (GDPR day!) I received my latest unsolicited and unwanted marketing from BT on BT Infinity. I see that my BT account *still* does not have the facility for me to opt out of marketing too.

I'd say this is fairly serious for BT, and they don't seem to be complying with GDPR. I wonder if that's correct?

My main question, though is: How do I stop, forever, receiving unwanted and unsolicited junk post from BT, and how do I get my emails permanently deleted from their marketing databases?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

21 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: How to stop BT junk mail (postal) after GDPR?

Have you checked to see if there is an "unsubscribe" link on the emails that you are receiving.

JynnanToniq
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Thanks for the suggestion. It's *postal* (i.e. paper, through the letterbox), per the title and the post, not emails.

If only I could unsubscribe, I would. There are no contact details on the printed letters telling me whom to contact if I want to stop the waste of time and paper either.

N

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 22

GDPR doesn't apply to stuff that comes through your letterbox. The forum moderators should be able to help and I'm bringing this thread to their attention.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 5 of 22

Hi @JynnanToniq,

I'm sorry you've been receiving unwanted marketing mail. I'll be able to get this stopped. 

Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
mpa99
Beginner
Message 6 of 22

Hi,

I'm logged in but can't see any "Contact the Mods" link in your profile.  Where is the link supposed to be?

Thanks,

JynnanToniq
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 22

Thanks very much Pottyperson.

Actually, it's a common misconception that GDPR doesn't apply to postal address information - it does, if it contains personally identifying information (such as your name, for instance), as GDPR is about protecting personal information, not any specific medium (e.g. email, postal mail).

Junk post sent *just* to houses doesn't come under GDPR however, as the house is fairly obviously there in the first place, and no personal info (e.g. name) is used.

Thanks again for getting the mods involved, which I hope will help...

Best wishes,

JT

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 22

GDPR does apply to storing postal addresses that a company has on file but companies do not need to get new consent to send out marketing messages and newsletters to existing clients if certain conditions are met. For example, the company  must have collected their contact information as part of providing a service or product to them.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 22

@mpa99 wrote:

I'm logged in but can't see any "Contact the Mods" link in your profile.  Where is the link supposed to be?

The link is only available with a personal invitation from a moderator. I'm bringing your post to the mods' attention to see if they can help.

@JynnanToniq My reference to GDPR was a bit laconic, for which apologies. Should have said that physical mail was not subject to the same restrictions as electronic communications, as gg has now pointed out.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 10 of 22

Hi @mpa99

We can help you with this too to stop unwanted marketing mail being sent out.

Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You