cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mpa99
Beginner
Message 11 of 22

Re: How to stop BT junk mail (postal) after GDPR?

Thanks. I've completed the form.
Message 12 of 22

@mpa99 I called there but missed you, I made arrangements for you to be opted out of postal marketing. 

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
mpa99
Beginner
Message 13 of 22

thanks

JynnanToniq
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 22

Hi again,

well this is awkward for BT, although not a surprise for me, as I've been trying to stop BT Infinity postal junk mail (i.e. paper mail) for several years and have not been successful.

Despite BT's attention, and a personal call after the moderators intervened, I received a new BT Infinity junk mail offer through the letterbox yesterday (28 July). It is very specifically addressed to me, and BT does not have my permission to send me any marketing material through any media, and has not had for a number of years.

So, (postal) junk mail removal has failed.

I'm afraid I don't buy the "it can take us some time to update our databases" made-up argument.

I also requested a copy of all data BT has on me. It has not been supplied, and I've now been waiting 5 weeks. The mandatory deadline (from the Information Commissioner's Office, ICO) is one month.

I'm going to give it one more week, to avoid any weasel words about what "one month" means, and then I am going to make a formal complaint to the ICO.

I'm serious about this BT - I cannot be the only person whose data is not being managed correctly, and the failure to remedy or reply is a serious matter under the law. I would probably start involving the office of the DPO if I were you. They need to be aware of the failure of controls and reporting and be able to fix it as soon as possible, before a rather more worrying event than someone who cannot stop junk mail from you no matter how many times you're told you do not have permission to send it. If you can't stop junk mail to me, what other, important things could be happening to data you are responsible for?

JynnanToniq

Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 22

This is bad.

Although it was the same for the DPA as well, the GDPR states that information needs to be accurate, including the right to opt out etc.

I agree about the timescales too, though it depends what the rules allow. It could be 4 or 6 weeks. I think that's too long and gives time for companies to bombard people with junk.

This timescale needs checking, but if it says one month, then that can only mean 1 calendar month from the date of request.

JynnanToniq
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 22

Hi Mods,

I am still receiving postal junk mail, despite being told I would not receive it any more.

Please can you help?
Thanks

faratid
Contributor
Message 17 of 22

I too would like to stop getting BT junk mail. This is particularly irritating as; a) I'm already a customer so don't want to sign up to BT, and b) having just been informed of yet another price hike it's particularly galling to be offered a special joining deal, only for new cusotmers.

Is it only possible to stop this unwanted mail by getting help from a moderator on this forum? This seems ridiculous, but if it's the only way please help.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 18 of 22

@JynnanToniq I'm really sorry you're still receiving mailers from BT. Could you send us your details again so we can check your account and see what happened here?

You send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile.

@faratid Please send your details in as well, this shouldn't be a problem to sort out for you. As above, please go to my profile page (by clicking on my username) and use the "Contact The Mods" link.

Thanks

Community ManagerStephanie
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thanks
faratid
Contributor
Message 19 of 22

Thanks, form completed.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 20 of 22

Hi @faratid this has now been done for you, thanks for taking my call there Smiley Happy

Thanks

Community ManagerStephanie
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thanks