cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 25

Re: How will this end? What are my options if any?

Go to solution

@abandonedbythesystem wrote:

Try it this way...

Imagine I am a BT customer then respond if you have any useful advice.

Then we would ask you to use your BT Retail phone number, on the BT Broadband availability checker, and you would be given advice based on the information that was displayed.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 25

Go to solution

Thanks I will try thinkbroadband. My own ISP has no such forum.

Yes. Openreach manage the network and BT are legally a seperate entity. There is capacity, I have been told so by openreach.

It is sad news that openreach will never swap cabinets for anyone on request.

I believe BT cancelled my orders because they realised they would be inheriting a tiny little bit of work along with my bank details. I can only guess as they never gave a reason they just kept sending me routers then telling me to send them back before they charged me for them, lol.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 25

Go to solution
This leads to the same conclusion I have already reached. I really need to know what I can do about the problem I have - Iwas left in the wrong cabinet and openreach won't catch me up.
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 25

Go to solution

If you use the forum search facility you will find numerous posts just like your where BT customer want to change cabinets.  You can try writing to openreach and putting your case

https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/questions-about-fibre-availability

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 25

Go to solution

As a Sky customer any advice here would be ‘generic’ , the BT Mods have ( quite understandably) no reason to offer to look at this for you.

There is no reason why someone couldn’t ask to have two lines , but there is also no reason why the second line wouldn’t be routed any differently from the first and you have no right to a second line at a standard installation price , if OR had significant expense providing a second line, they could decline your request, or only progress it if you agreed to the construction costs.

If you have tried to order a second line with BT , and it was cancelled, then the reason for the cancellation should be provided if you ask, but if the wrong order type was raised though ( the order being to take over the Sky service instead of adding a totally new line) then you or Sky may have in effect cancelled the BT order by saying you don’t want the Sky service migrating.

If you neighbours are served from a distribution point ( DP ) that itself is served from an enabled cabinet (PCP)  but you are an E/O line , then it begs the question ‘why ‘ ?....are your neighbours close by ( say within 5-10 metres of your property  ) some folk in rural areas refer to neighbours when their property’s are 100’s of metres apart.

If your neighbours are so close that you are served from the same telegraph pole , then assuming a spare pair exists to the cabinet from that pole , then what you want doesn’t seem to complicated , but if you were served from the same pole , it’s unlikely to have ‘pairs’ to the cabinet and E/O pairs side by side.

If your serving ‘ pole’ isn’t the same as your neighbours, but you believe that the pole that serves your neighbours could also serve you,  if there were no spare pairs on that alternative pole, and because you already have a working service , Openreach are under no obligation to provide more pairs to that alternative pole , and although as a layperson you may think this alternative pole could service your property, there may be engineering reasons why it cannot ( assuming spares are available on it )

Although you have apparently tried to have Sky and BT services simultaneously , presumably you are not keen or transferring your existing line from Sky to BT, so as others have said, help from a BT forum is not likely to be offered, while you continue to ‘prefer’ Sky to BT .

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 25

Go to solution

Not sure where you mentioned Sky, but they do have their own forum.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 25

Go to solution
Sky was mentioned as the OP’s provider, presumably they posted this info previously on another thread
0 Ratings
Message 18 of 25

Go to solution

Iniltous

Not a sky customer, as I said my ISP doesn't have a forum.

The easiest way to provide a second line would be from the nearest cabinet which does have capacity. The problem BT have is when they look up my house they see that they can't offer me fibre (except they could! it's an administrative block because the restricted speed of my current line,  is dictating what they think the speed of the second line would be, and they won't believe me when I tell them that would not be the case.)

Neighbours are very close, my next door neighbour is semi detached to me. Their cable is coming off the same pole as mine. My 1.3km long fibre cable passes right through the cabinet that they're all gettting their superfast fibre from (this is not just supposition, this is what the openreach engineer told me). But for some unknown reason no one can just hook me up to the good stuff. I agree, this does beg the question 'why?'

I can in theory transfer my service to another supplier but none of them will offer me the superfast fibre product because the record on the wholesale database is that my only option is ADSL, despite the UPRN saying I have access to superfast fibre. Most ISPs won't even cater for such a primative line anymore. BT said they understood the problem and they could connect me to the superfast fibre but then cancelled my order without warning or explanation, but presumably because it wasn't low hanging fruit for them. At least if I stick with my current ISP I am below the handback threshold until they force me to sign up to a new contract. I can also see the process through to the point at which they give up and I can present the matter to a thrid party.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 25

Go to solution

You don’t seen to want to say who your ISP is ( apart from indicating it’s not Sky or BT ) but if it’s the case that you are not physically on an E/O line even if the wholesale records system says you are , and your connection runs through exactly the same DP and PCP as your immediate neighbours, and they have FTTC  ,then your provider should be capable of interacting with Openreach on this matter.

Any assistance from this forum for a non BT customer is limited , most non BT customers are simply advised to contact their own provider, BT are not the industry policeman , and responsible for sorting out other ISP customers problems, a BT customer could probably make use of the BT Mods to request a check that any address info held is correct , and amended  by Openreach if necessary, your ISP has exactly the same access into OR as BT  , so your own provider could also do this.

You don’t need a customer forum to contact your provider, other avenues presumably are available, arguably it’s an indictment on your current provider if they don’t want to even try to solve this issue , I’m surprised in a way , they ( and you ) are not blaming ‘BT’ for this, that happens regularly, ‘ sorry , it’s BT stopping us helping you’ .

The advice from this forum would simply suggest you switch your account to another ISP and if the switch itself doesn’t resolve the issue then once you are a customer you request that this new provider investigate this for you....if you are on ADSL , then ADSL from any provider will provide similar performance ( so switching is risk free in that respect, your performance isn’t going to be worse than what you have ) the upside is a new provider may be better at getting whatever data error is stopping you ordering FTTC corrected.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 25

Go to solution

ISP is SSE.

Have been in contact with them for months trying to get this sorted, so "contact your ISP" isn't working.

Switching suppliers would tie me into a long contract at ADSL speeds with no incentive for the new ISP to help.

I am on an E/O line but my cable is physically routed through the nearby cabinet that is supplying fibre to everyone else (I already said this).

Looking for some new ideas about how to resolve this problem beyond the standard "take it up with your ISP" or " raise a fault with OpenReach" as these avenues seem to be dead ends.

I am wondering if I can make up a new address and get a new line put in. What are the chances of success with that?

You guys keep saying "we can't help you because you're not with bt" and yet it feels like you are trying to understand my problem.

0 Ratings