cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 25

Re: How will this end? What are my options if any?

Go to solution

If its EO (Exchange Only), then it will not go via a cabinet.

EO cables (junction cables) are very common, especially on re-developed brownfield sites, where there have been a past requirement for a lot of exchange lines.

They are large pair cables that run direct from the exchange frame, and are split off at different junctions and connect directly to DPs (Distribution points).

Its not unusual to have a mix of EO lines and lines that are routed via a cabinet.

In Eastleigh Hampshire, there used to be a large Pirelli cable factory which was fed mostly by EO. Most of the houses on that new estate are EO  only, however FTTP is in the planning stage.

In your case, all you can do is to hope that FTTP becomes available, and your ISP chooses to sell it.

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 25

Go to solution

I am only going by what the OpenReach engineer told me after he looked in the cabinet I am talking about. Perhaps my terminology is wrong.

By all accounts what I want can be done. Its just that doing nothing is easier and only negatively affects me.

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 25

Go to solution

@abandonedbythesystemwrote:

Thanks I will try thinkbroadband. My own ISP has no such forum.

The internet's a big place, there's a forum for everything somewhere out there, you just need to search for it. You might have more luck asking your question here

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2272867/thoughts-on-sse-broadband

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 25

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

In Eastleigh Hampshire, there used to be a large Pirelli cable factory which was fed mostly by EO. Most of the houses on that new estate are EO  only, however FTTP is in the planning stage.

Hi @Keith_Beddoe ,

Since this is The Lounge I hope it is OK to post.

Good to hear one of my old customers getting a mention.  Since you say "used to be" has it closed down ?

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 25

Go to solution

I’m pretty sure the OP has posted this problem on another forum , ( not aligned with any particular ISP ) and some of the reply’s on that forum cast a little more light on this and I think one of the contributors has identified the problem, the OP providing more info on that other forum than here.

It seems the OP may have provided some incorrect info , they may not be on an E/O line at all , in fact they actually probably already have FTTC, just getting poor speeds because of the distance to the cabinet

In my own lines case , the  routing goes through 2 copper cabinets , from the exchange it’s probably around 3km to the first cab ( cab 55 ) and a further 2km to the cabinet nearest me ( cab 58 ) which is around 100m away from me, obviously when Openreach provided Cab 58 in the first place ( prior to any FTTC ) they ran cables from Cab 55 rather than all the way back to the exchange, this was undoubtedly a cheaper option and if Cab 55 had plenty of capacity then it makes perfect sense.
Both the cabinets my line runs through are FTTC enabled , but if I were allocated a FTTC port in the cab closer to the exchange ( cab 55 ) and rather than the one closest to me ( cab 58 ) then I wouldn’t get the 80Mb speed I currently get, as my line length to the cab wouldn’t be 100m but around 2.1Km.

When I was able to order FTTC the records must have indicated Cab 58 as  the ‘primary’ cab and the cab to allocate a FTTC port in , Cab 55 would have worked but would be much slower.

Acknowledging the contributor from the other forum who suggested this as the issue, I suspect the OP’s ‘line’ also passes through 2 copper cabinets , but for whatever reason ( dodgy record ) the FTTC
port allocated was in the cabinet furthest away from them  and not the closest one, this would also support the comment the OP made on the other forum that an Openreach engineer had mentioned ‘head ends’ and port swaps, any ‘lift and shift’ request would not work , simply allocating another port in the same ( furthest away ) cabinet, the two cabinets  probably on different PONs even if from the same OLT .

In a way this is good news for the OP, all they really need is for the records to change for the primary cabinet that serves them rather than indicating the cabinet that happens to also be in the routing back to the exchange but is not the appropriate cabinet for providing the best speed.

As already suggested , if the OP current provider cannot figure out a way to do this , perhaps another provider could, either by installing a second line then ensuring the FTTC is allocated from the superior cabinet , or by swapping the existing line to another ISP and letting them try.
If using the existing line , they may need to convert to ADSL first , then correcting the record before upgrading to FTTC.

sorry for the somewhat lengthy post, and if the OP does read this, hopefully it makes sense.

0 Ratings