Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HowardB51
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

IP address compromised scam - how does it work

Go to solution

I had a call today from a person claiming to be from BT Open Reach, saying my IP address had been compromised and was now public.  They asked me to go to google and type my IP address and then tell them the IP address - I didn’t tell then but said I would call them back.  They hung up.  I know this is a scam - my question is how does the scam work, why do they want to know my IP address.

3 REPLIES 3
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: IP address compromised scam - how does it work

Go to solution

Presumably an offer to help you fix a non existant problem with your P.C. would have followed, as part of which they would ask you to download their repair tool.

Don't worry about the IP address being public, they all are unless you're using a VPN

Highlighted
HowardB51
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks

g0fvt
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

FWIW there are many Youtube videos on exactly this type of scam, generally they will lead you in the direction of accepting a remote connection to your PC and then show you error logs that are quite normal in Windows "event viewer" they will then sell you a solution for a small fortune. Be wary that the remote connection gives them full read and write access as though they were sitting at the computer.