cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 1 of 5

International Astronomy Day

Tomorrow 29/04/2017 is International Astronomy Day!

This week, NASA won a Webby Award for its Cassini project

I only discovered this website thanks to @5progface's recent thread and it has so much information and fantastic images – they have done an amazing job. Great find 5progface!

I’m a big fan of the “amateur images” gallery.  You could easily spend a couple of hours going through them all. This is one of many favourites:

Saturn rings by Maksim Kakitsev.png 

Can anyone recommend any other favourite astronomy images, or websites?

Community ModeratorStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: International Astronomy Day

Not astronomy as such!

There's an eclipse coming in USA later this year.

Will see if I'm sent amateur pictures from there at the exact location, of total eclipse.

There will be many News Media pics, of course, but sometimes informal pics are more expressive.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 3 of 5

@Ribblelancs wrote:

[...] but sometimes informal pics are more expressive.

I absolutely agree.

I'll not personally know anyone that gets to see it live, but I look forward to seeing footage / photos online. I used to follow a lot of amateur "astro-photographers" on Twitter (cringey term, I can't think of a better one right now), but I don't like that platform as much anymore. Thinking about it, I do dip into Instagram occasionally, I must have a good search sometime and see if I can find some good accounts to follow.

My cousin has planned a road trip somewhere in the US for a couple of weeks this summer, and was hoping to time it around the same time of the eclipse, but due to some work commitments he will already be back home by the time it happens!

Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 4 of 5

Prof Brian Cox.jpg

It's a terrible photo, but I went to see this guy this week! Smiley Very Happy

We didn't quite know what his show would entail. It turns out it was basically a lecture.

Robin Ince was part of it as well, he's a comedian and I'd never heard of him before but he was very good (they have a podcast together, which I keep telling myself I must check out, but haven't as of yet).

All in all, an enjoyable night!

Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 5 of 5

@StephanieG wrote:

Prof Brian Cox.jpg

It's a terrible photo, but I went to see this guy this week! Smiley Very Happy

We didn't quite know what his show would entail. It turns out it was basically a lecture.

Robin Ince was part of it as well, he's a comedian and I'd never heard of him before but he was very good (they have a podcast together, which I keep telling myself I must check out, but haven't as of yet).

All in all, an enjoyable night!

A slight diversion, although not a total diversion from the Topic.

For the armchair astronomer there's a useful app for the iPad:- It's free and no adverts!

Search for an app named "Planets". There's only one app under this exact name. It also work with the latest iOS version.

It gives you some information on the sky, night and day, with sun and moon positions, stellar constellation positions etc.

Now that we are approaching the summer solstice it's interesting to look at the light in the northern night sky at around 1.00am...

You will if conditions are right, catch a sunlight glow in the sky to the north.

At 53 to 54 deg north latitude it's a matter of chance. However I did catch a glow 2 nights ago.

There's a strong chance in Glasgow, or Edinburgh areas. Depends on the weather and the local light pollution.