cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Internet working fine but landline not

Go to solution

I have just realised our phone line is down and yet our Internet is working. We only have one phone in the house and this plugs directly into the nte5 master socket. The black bt cable comes in through the wall at the edge of the bay window and goes into a bt80a junction box and then the internal white cable feeds the master socket from it. I have removed the face plate from the nte5 socket and plugged the phone in both directly and with a micro filter into the test socket and still no dial tone and cannot call out or receive calls. I have repeated this with a borrowed phone in case ours is bust but get the same result. I am a qualified electrician and have tested the A B incoming lines and there is only .03 v reading and I have retested at the rear of the master and get the same result .03v Dc. To me this indicates there is a problem on the line prior to my property as my understanding is it should be a 50v dc feed across AB wires . The wiring continuity inside checks out with .03 readings across AB on the first internal junction box and the same reading at the back of the master.  Would the cause the phone line not to work but still enable the Internet to work or am I missing something?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Internet working fine but landline not

Go to solution

@PaulAndVikkie 

Welcome to this user forum.

Who provides your phone  service?

Is your Internet working at full speed?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Sky provide service internet fine working at avg 40 mb/s which I know is not fantastic but is fine for our useage

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@PaulAndVikkie wrote:

Sky provide service internet fine working at avg 40 mb/s which I know is not fantastic but is fine for our useage

Then you will need to contact Sky, as this forum is for BT Retail customers only. Its Openreach not BT Retail that provide the external network, but I would suspect an issue with the Sky exchange equipment, as they have their own exchange equipment.

Sky do have a user forum which you should register on.

Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky!

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Many thanks

0 Ratings