cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
SteveBB
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 5

Is it likely BT will improve the speed for those of us far from our current exchange?

I'm currently getting 33mb sync on the old BT Infinity 1 and I really want more speed, but even if I jumped up to Superfast Plus the estimated speed is the same because I'm quite far from the exchange and I'm just wondering if this is it? I don't really understand the ins and outs of fibre infrastructure so I thought I'd ask. I'd switch to Virgin but they aren't in my area yet. I'm a big gamer and games these days are huge, so I'd kill for more speed but it seems I can't just throw money at the problem. 

4 REPLIES 4
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Is it likely BT will improve the speed for those of us far from our current exchange?

Distance from the exchange is immaterial with VDSL, it is distance from the cabinet that matters.

You will be waiting several years for your speeds to improve from what you have presently.

33Mb is more than enough for actualy gaming downloading from steam is another matter.

SteveBB
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 5

Re: Is it likely BT will improve the speed for those of us far from our current exchange?

That's a shame, when your mate is on 360mb Virgin it's hard not to be jealous. It's not like I'm in the middle of nowhere either.

iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 5

There is an option , but it’s potentially very expensive, if you are already on FTTC , then FTTPod should be available ( not through BT but there are ISP’s that do offer it) , basically , a fibre is provided from the NGA aggregation node to your home, but you pay the construction costs to get the fibre to your location and usually pay ££ more per month for the duration of the original term but then you can move to ‘naitive’ FTTP and pay whatever the native price is, with FTTP you can get 300Mb+, but the construction costs can be 10’s of thousands of pounds.

Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 5

FTTP will eventually be pushed deeper into the network but everything is done in stages  so that it is commercially viable.