Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Junction box / master socket / broadband quality

Go to solution

Firstly apologies if this isn't the best location for this post. Please advise if not.

My (admittedly non-BT) broadband downstream/upstream is not as good as some of my neighbours (according to DSL Checker) and I'm trying to work out where the degradation is coming from.

This is the junction box on the wall. It's a Circled T BT Logo era box. Can anyone tell me the model number on this box? The central black line is the incoming drop line. The grey one on the right seems to go to the master socket, but what is the white one on the left?

Junction boxJunction box

This is the master socket in the attic. I didn't remove the plate. This is how we inherited it. The grey wire can be seen coming in. Looks to be 4 extensions coming off it. From what you can see, does it look messy/noisy? Room for improvement? Should the extensions be disconnect if not in use?

Master socketMaster socket

Since we don't use landlines, could plugging the router into the master socket be an option? (since it's in the attic that will bring its own Wifi quality issues to the whole house but that can be resolved with ranger extenders).

One extension has the router plugged in. There must be about 20 foot of extension between the master socket and the extension. Could like be a source of the noise? ExtensionExtension

The average Max Observed Downstream / Upstream speeds of the 12 neighbours on BT lines that I can check is 41/7 Mbps. Some downstreams are in the high 40s and one is even in the 70s so I'm wondering if most of my degradation is internal and an easier fix?

These are the stats from the router. DS3 and US2 are often 0.0

Line Attenuation / Noise marginLine Attenuation / Noise margin

Thanks for any advice.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Junction box / master socket / broadband quality

Go to solution

I'm sorry but this forum is for BT Retail customers to help other BT Retail customers. As you are not a customer of BT but appear possibly a SKY customer I suggest you post on the SKY forum for assistance

I would suggest using the master and disconnecting extension or even converting an extension into a new master  the 20m of extension wiring is not helping connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks for the advice regarding the master. BT junction box, BT master socket, BT (Openreach) extension and I don't think the issue is with the Sky part, hence my posting here. It seemed like this was the most knowledgeable place to come.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

this is BT Retail forum and nothing to do with openreach  you pay SKY for your landline and your broadband and therefore you need to go to SKY forum for assistance

There is no more contact with openreach from this forum than there is from the SKY forum

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

You will have to post on the Sky forum, which is here.

Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky!

It would not be possible to provide advice here, as it may involve you being charged by Sky, and this forum which is operated by BT Retail, would not be liable.