cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Landline Number Retrieval

Go to solution

I recently changed my broadband provider from Sky to Virgin Media. 

The package I had with Sky included a landline number which has, over the years, been ported between providers successfully and I have as a result had the same number for 25yrs or more.

In transferring to Virgin Media, to a similar package including a "landline" number but VOIP, they failed to port my number and as a result I am now in dispute with Virgin and awaiting the outcome of an independent review to allow me to leave without being charged for early cancellation. 

In the meantime, my Question is this. If I take out a landline contract with BT, is it possible for BT to  retrieve my old number and allocate this to me again?

This number is tied in with many aspects of my daily life, including family and friends who have no other contact details for me, not to mention the numerous places where over the years, this number has been given as my primary contact detail.

Any advice on this matter will be gratefully received.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Landline Number Retrieval

Go to solution

there are numerous posts on this subject if you use search facility

as you post you would need an active phone line with BT Retail before you could request your old number. are you still at same address where number was originally issued

there is no guarantee that you would get number but there are many success stories in your situation on forum using forum mods help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

@DAVIE_C 

Unless the number was originally issued to you by BT Retail, at your current address, then it would not be possible for BT Retail to recover your number.

What are the first six digits of the number you are trying to get back? Please do not post the full number.

As you are a Virgin Media customer, and this is a BT Retail customer forum, there is nothing this forum can do to help, unless you originally had a BT Retail number, and intend to move your services back to BT Retail.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for the response.

The number was originally a BT number back 25yrs ago, but has been a Sky number for over 10 yrs. 

I don't know that the term "BT Retail" would ever have been used in conjunction with this number. 

The number is a 6 digit number if you ignore the STD code, so I won't be posting it here.

My question has no real connection to the Virgin number anymore as I am proposing to take out a new landline only account with BT and I am looking to have my old number re-allocated to my BT account when I take it out. NOTE: I am not asking for the number to ported, but re-instated. I have read some threads on here that suggest what I am proposing is possible but I am looking for confirmation whilst I am going through the process of initiating a contact with BT.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks. I think I'll give this a go.
IMHO, the industry needs to recognise the importance of these numbers. The porting should be standard unless you ask for a new number.
Thanks again.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

@DAVIE_C 

Numbers are allocated to each provider by Ofcom.

If you want to double check to make sure your number is owned by BT Retail.

If you have a quick look at the OFCOM website :-

http://static.ofcom.org.uk/static/numbering/index.htm#geog1

and download the spreadsheet that contains your number range (note the numbers exclude the leading zero). The line in the spreadsheet will show to whom the range is allocated.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

are you still at same address when number was originally issued?

Bear in mind there is no guarantee that you will get the old number back just, from previous posts, you would more than likely succeed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks for this useful link.
I got the following info from the spreadsheet which suggests the number is owned by BT I think.
1501 73 Allocated BT 4+6 15/07/1994
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
I am no longer at the same address associated with the original allocation, but have ported it each time I have moved. I have been at the same address for the past 10 yrs.

I think I'll just have to suck it and see.

Looks like there is an option to sign up to a "pay as you go" package which would cost £20 per month. I'm not sure if there is a minimum contract period, but it doesn't look like it.

Thanks for the help.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

@DAVIE_C wrote:
I am no longer at the same address associated with the original allocation, but have ported it each time I have moved. I have been at the same address for the past 10 yrs.

I think I'll just have to suck it and see.

Provided you are still connected to the same exchange building as you were originally, then there should not normally be any problem.

0 Ratings