cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Landline number disconnected without consent

Go to solution

Hi @DavidM 

I noticed when reading through some of the posts on here that you were able to solve a similar problem that I am having, so fingers crossed you can help!

my parents were originally bt customers for over 30 years and changed their landline to sky approximately 2years ago after getting offered a great deal, where they were able to keep their landline number. As a result of lockdown I have been attempting to get broadband set up and after a number of failed attempts with sky they asked that we cancel the landline and set up a new contract that would include landline and broadband as a means of getting it through openreach. I had stressed the importance of keeping the original landline number and the operator assured me this would be no problem. 

They have since informed me that the number was accidentally cancelled and their is no way of retrieving it. This has caused a lot of distress for my elderly parents who rely on the landline to make contact with relatives and friends as well as medical professionals. I would happily move all back to BT if there is a chance of retrieving the original landline number? 
I have set up a new contact with sky but should be within the cancellation period if there is any hope in getting the old number back. 
please say you can help! I look forward to hearing from you. Also, we are based in N. Ireland. Thanks D

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Landline number disconnected without consent

Go to solution

@NeilO , I see that you were able to solve a similar situation. Is this something you can advise on? Thanks 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

@Dee53 

When they cancelled the original Sky contract, the number would have returned back to BT Retail, and the only way to get it back, would be for them to become a BT Retail customer.

As they are a Sky customer at the moment, then this forum cannot help,

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe thanks for the reply. I will happily cancel Sky today and set up a new contract with BT. Sky customer service has been shocking. 
If I explain the situation to a BT sales advisor would they be able to request the original number or is it something I will have to try and sort after the phone line is activated? 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

@Dee53 wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe thanks for the reply. I will happily cancel Sky today and set up a new contract with BT. Sky customer service has been shocking. 
If I explain the situation to a BT sales advisor would they be able to request the original number or is it something I will have to try and sort after the phone line is activated? 

Provided they are still living at the same address, then once the line is active and working with BT Retail, on a new number, then ring BT customer services, and request a re-number back to their original number. There is normally a small charge for this.

A new number has to be issued to start with, as their original number cannot be used to provide service.

If you have any problems, then please start a new thread on this forum, and a moderator can be asked to assist.

I would concentrate on getting the phone working first on the correct number. Once this has been done, then add the broadband afterwards, as you will then be able to see what broadband options are available.

0 Ratings