cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Landline re installed

Go to solution

Hi, In process of changing utilities  including broadband supplier from BT my landline was disconnected. My fault for not checking. I have BT Open Reach white Huawei 4 port modem.  So I asked to reinstall landline.  Text to confirm it is now ready to use (with a new number). Neither Tel 1 or2 light on modem is lit so although I have dialling tone on landline and digit sounds no connection ringing out or in.  Should it be working through modem? Tried a landline phone in other phone sockets in house and only works in one, which is very inconveniently placed. Please can any suggestions be explained relatively simply. Thanks

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Landline re installed

Go to solution

@Truroro 

Who is your current supplier, as they are now responsible for your connection. It has nothing to do with BT Retail, who run this forum? You need to post on their user forum, assuming they have one.

Its Openreach that provide the network, and there is no such company as BT Openreach.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Thank you. Does that mean I cannot connect BT landline to the modem, where the landline was connected before? Sorry for basic questions. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

@Truroro wrote:

Thank you. Does that mean I cannot connect BT landline to the modem, where the landline was connected before? Sorry for basic questions. 

Who is providing your service? Its an Openreach landline connection, and has nothing to do with BT Retail.

There is no such thing as a BT landline any more.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution
Ok, that still hasn’t helped me understand. My terminology may be wrong but I was hoping for help.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

@Truroro 

As you are no longer a BT Retail customer, this forum cannot help with your current installation.

You need to speak to your new provider, or post on their forum, where you should be able to get help.

As you have not said who your new provider is, I cannot give you the link to their user forum, so who have you moved your phone and broadband service to?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution
My phone is with BT which is why I asked here, maybe wrong part of the community but hoped to get guidance. My broadband is not with BT. Yes strange decision, which will probably get changed at end of new suppliers contract but for now that’s it. Just wanted best way to connect landline. If this BT community is not best place to offer advice I’m sorry.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Then your phone connection will be delivered over the copper landline connection that comes into your house, and will appear on the master phone socket, and any other socket which is wired to it.

As BT are not supplying your broadband, you will no longer be able to use the TEL1 or TEL2 connection on the Openreach modem. All you can do is to rewire your internal phone connections, or employ someone to do it for you.

Splitting your services the way you have done, is much more expensive and causes complications.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution
Thank you. Yes, I was at a weak moment when persuaded to change supplier and will revert when this contract ends. Lesson learnt! And thank you for your explanation, that all makes sense.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

When you do return to BT Broadband, you will almost certainly have your landline moved over to BT Digital Voice, as both the copper landline and the TEL1 connection to the Openreach modem, will no longer be available.

BT Digital voice is the future phone connection method, and used the broadband to carry the phone connection.

0 Ratings