Highlighted
Mapp28
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Line speed and damage to property

Go to solution

Hello, 

I don’t know if anyone anyone can point me in the right direction

I’m with sky broadband and I’m getting approx 36mb fibre, which they advise me is the MAX, I’ve have checked all other providers and they can only offer me the same, so spoke to my next door neighbours they are both getting approx 70mb using EE, when I check EE they can only offer me 36mb, this lead me to think that I could have a issue on the line so out of curiosity I checked where the lines into our houses came from, both my neighbours lines come from the pole in front of our houses and mine comes from 1 behind, when I’ve checked all the houses on my street they are all are connected from the front, with mine been the sole house connected from the rear, the pole from the rear is twice the distance from my house than the one at the front and it seems they have attached the in coming line to the facia board at the front of my house which has now started to pull away from the house.

Ideally for speed purposes I’d want the line to come from the front but primarily I want it to come from the front to save damage to the house, as the weight of the line would be less, when I spoke to sky they said they didn’t own the line even though I pay the rental to the and the advisor I spoke to couldn't advise who to speak to.

Does anyone know who I should be contacting, BT Openreach??? 

5 REPLIES 5
albertj
Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: Line speed and damage to property

Go to solution
You can see what it says here for speed (check your address and neighbours): https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/
You can ask Openreach about it on twitter as well: https://twitter.com/OpenreachHelp
--
Please press the thumbs up if you found my response useful and mark it as a solution if I resolved your query.
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

As you are not a BT Consumer customer, and this is a BT Consumer customer forum, you are not likely to get any ‘assistance’ here, after all BT isn’t responsible for solving the problems of customers of competitor company’s,  would a BT broadband customer ask a similar question on a Sky broadband forum ?

BT has no more or no less access into Openreach than any other provider ( including the one you pay for your service ) so any question you have or investigation you want , that could be answered by  a ‘ BT’ representative enquiring with OR, could also be done  by a representative of the company you use to provide your service, if you are getting nowhere asking questions of your own provider is a reflection on them.

Its not BT Openreach, it’s just Openreach.

Mapp28
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Sorry but I was told by the Sky advisor that the line is still owed by BT and they can’t request any re-routing or repairs to the line so that’s why I came here for advice?, I was asking general advice as to if I have any options or if anybody on these forums had experienced similar issues, and if I needed to contact BT or  Openreach to try and resolve 

thanks for highlighting I missed the ‘or’ out 😉

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

The line is owned by Openreach, who are a separate company.

https://www.openreach.com/

Sky, and other providers simply rent a pair of wires from them. If a line is faulty or damaged, then the provider has to pass the fault to Openreach for them to deal, once you have reported the fault.

Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

The line is owned by Openreach, who are a separate company.’

No, the Access Network is owned by the BT Group plc and is merely managed by Openreach who are a subsidiary of BT Group.

Openreach don’t really own anything, even their vans are leased.