cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 21

Line takeover

Go to solution

BT Openreach gave my broadband line to someone else with any notification. I requested to have it back, but, despite not asking me whether I was happy to have the line taken over, they have asked the new line holders who have told them to do one.

So I have had to sign up for a new contract and I'm without the broadband I'm paying for for a month.

Openreach are completely unaccountable of course, so who at BT do I complain to? 

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Re: Line takeover

Go to solution

It is openreach not BT OPENREACH

are you a BT RETAIL customer?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

Openreach is part of BT Group

I have (or had) a line installed and maintained by Openreach. So yes I am a customer of BT

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

@oliverps1 wrote:

Openreach is part of BT Group

I have (or had) a line installed and maintained by Openreach. So yes I am a customer of BT

@oliverps1 Who do you pay for your line rental and broadband?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

Given your quite evasive answer to  question, are you a BT customer , presumably you are not, so posting on here on a BT Consumer forum is of no use to you.....even if ( in your opinion ) the issue is with Openreach, BT isn’t a proxy for them, and it’s your own provider that needs to correct whatever error has occurred, and if that requires them to interact with OR , the speed and success of that interaction ought to inform you of how good or bad your provider is ( not how good or bad Openreach are ) , if of course you are ‘happy’ for your provider to apportion blame away for themselves, and simply state that’s the way it is , and nothing more they can do, that’s up to you....

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

Openreach is part of BT and this is BT's forum. As far as I am concerned all issues relating to BT are able to be discussed on here.

As you rightly say, a network provider will have its own version of events, but in order not to take "their" word for it one needs the other side of the story, in this case from Openreach. 

If you had engaged your brain you might have realised the nonsense you just typed. 

So the question still stands. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

as this forum is for customers of BT Retail and has no connection to openreach you will NOT get any answers about your line here.  you need to complain to your own ISP who use openreach and are the openreach customer

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

@oliverps1 

This is Openreach https://www.openreach.com/about-us

They provide and maintain the network for most providers, apart from Virgin Media.

A line takeover can only take place if another customer places an order for a line at your property. This can be by mistake, if they quoted the wrong address.

If there is an existing active connection, then the current account holder is contacted to inform them that someone wants to take over their line.

If no reply is received after 10 days, then the line will be taken over.

Its the responsibility of the current provider, to inform their customer of the intended takeover. Its then the responsibility of the customer to contact their provider, and to refuse the line takeover.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

Hi @oliverps1,

I am sorry to hear about your experience.

Do you have your services with us or are you paying someone else for your service?

If you are paying us, then we may be able to look into it for you. However, if you pay someone else, there is nothing that we can do to help you. We aren't allowed any interaction with Openreach for people who aren't our Customers. It simply wouldn't be compliant. 

Openreach explain it more on their website:

We’re a wholly owned subsidiary of BT Group and a legally separate business.  This came about as part of an agreement with Ofcom after its Digital Communications Review in 2017. Although we trade on behalf of BT plc, we have our own distinct brand and we’re independently governed.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

Openreach customers are CP’s, ( communications providers ) of which BT is one , as is whatever company you are a customer of, Ofcom the regulator , and CP’s don’t want OR communicating directly with CP’s customers , they want any and all communication to be from them, so Openreach are effectively not allowed to communicate with you directly, basically your CP doesn’t want you to contact OR with any problems.

If your line was taken over in error, then that error is either with the customer who asked to takeover your line by using your address, ( perhaps it was malicious rather than a mistake ) or the company of that person who mistakenly used your address rather than the applicants correct address , either way your provider should have advised you of this proposed takeover , so if you didn’t get that ‘message’ that’s either their error or your error for not acting upon that message .

Once  mistake is realised it’s upto your provider to sort out.....care to point out exactly where you think BT fit in and can assist you ?

You accuse me of not engaging my brain, but my response to you is both polite ( your response to me fails in that regard ) and accurate....you are not a BT Consumer customer , you can twist and state that BT and OR are part of the same group of company’s , but so what ?, that doesn’t make BT your provider, you made a choice to use whoever you do use, and that’s where any problems or questions you have should be raised, you seem angry to have this pointed out, but posting on this forum is pointless, you need to contact your own CP.
If you want to engage with Openreach directly , good look with that, it cannot be done from here, and if you do get a reply, they will simply tell you to contact your provider.

0 Ratings