Beginner
UnderUsed

Listing of web sites blocked by BT

Hi all,

Does anyone know of the existence of a list of sites that BT actively block at the exchange?  I have raised this question with the customer service department and was told that the issue would be dealt with.  I have heard nothing since.

Why do I want such a list?  Simply to make an informed decision as to which service provider to use; which provider sees the internet as a free and open resource.

To the MOD.

Can you get this for me please?  I don't want to have to FOI it, but I will if I continue to be stonewalled by BT representatives.

Regard,

UU.

Distinguished Expert
Bullitt

Re: Listing of web sites blocked by BT

[ Edited ]

there is no list

unless your referring to the kiddie pr0n block list provided by the internet watch foundation

Beginner
UnderUsed

I'm not interested in any one site, only the general use of blocking, and I would like a comprehensive listing of the blocked sites.

Regards,

UU

Distinguished Expert
Bullitt

i think that list is secret
Aspiring Contributor
Messenger

Well Newzbin is one of them.

Aspiring Expert
ianm42

Beginner
UnderUsed

Hmm.  I'm sure that such a thing would be kept as low profile as is possible, but there are issues of informed consent and the ability of a customer to make an informed choice as to how they spend their money.  As an example of the issue consider this: if it is not possible to know what sites are being blocked then it is not possible to identify obstructive censorship.

Now I'm not suggesting that covert and widespread censorship is occurring, merely that it is currently impossible to determine if such actions are taking place: transparency is an issue.

Regards,

UU.

Beginner
UnderUsed

Ha!  That's pretty funny: "error - site blocked".  Now if you have any other IP addresses?

Distinguished Expert
Bullitt

Messenger wrote:

Well Newzbin is one of them.

newzbin is blocked by law

dont tell me you dont know the law of the land

Beginner
UnderUsed

I don't think that is technically correct to state that newzbin is blocked by Law.  I think it would be more accurate to state that a private company launched a private law suit and a judge passed in their favour.  This sets a precedent, but I'm not certain that current legislation specifically deals with the internet -- hence the push for ACTA, SOPA etc etc.

Again, I'm not particularly interested in this or that web site; nevertheless, the general concern remains.