cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
simon132
Message 1 of 10

MK3 socket wiring

Go to solution

Hi, I would like to move my BT MK3 socket off the main wall into a small cabinet.  This means I would have to disconnect the wiring, pull it back into the cabinet (through the small hole shown below) and then rewire.

My query was  - how do I disconnect  the orange and blue wiring shown below?  I couldn't see an obvious way to do this.  Is there a particular knack with a screwdriver (I don't have a punchdown tool) ?  Thanks!

IMG_6619.jpgIMG_6618.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: MK3 socket wiring

Go to solution

the cables just pull out but better with the IDC tool rather than screwdriver when you replace them

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

If you must use a screwdriver, use a very thin bladed one or all you will do is splay the contacts so the wires don't make proper contact.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

@simon132 

Who provides your phone and broadband service?

The external wiring is owned by Openreach, and you could incur a charge if alterations cause problems on the network.

simon132
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

thanks for the replies.

I am with Sky for broadband and phone

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

then you should be posting on SKY forum not BT retail

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@simon132 wrote:

thanks for the replies.

I am with Sky for broadband and phone

Then why are you posting on a BT retail customer forum?

It would be best to ignore any advice given here, as its likely to result in Sky raising a charge if you do it wrong. BT would not be responsible if that happens.

Try the Sky forum http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/

simon132
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Because it is a BT MK3 socket.

I will delete the post though, thanks for the responses.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

the socket is openreach not BT retail.  SKY have as much contact with openreach as do BT Retail of any other ISP

you cannot delete the thread now

simon132
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

thanks

this seemed the best place to find information, hence my request.  I guess it was from more of a DIY point of view.  I'm quite happy doing general DIY but just wanted to see if there was an easy trick to getting the small incoming wires off and back on again.