cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Master Socket Wiring

Go to solution

Hi all,

I've been going back and forth with my provider and seem to be hitting brick walls at every turn and can't seem to get a straight answer. I'd be hugely grateful if anyone can confirm or deny my suspicions on any of the below! Massive thanks to anyone taking the time as I'm about at the end of my tether with it all.

Issues:

• Rubbish WiFi signal and range all the time
  • Internet drop outs (at least once a week) requiring router restart to resolve
  • 300Mbps for the rest of the time over LAN which is great but fed up of being kicked out of meetings every week!

Setup:

• Master Socket 5C (picture of wiring, I was chatting to the supplier who said "remove the screws to expose the test socket" so I did but it turns out she meant, remove the face plate... either way, didn't touch anything and put it back as was and snapped a pic). Dual faceplate is into the blue and yellow wire which feeds into the main line although there is a splice on the yellow wire. Other phone only socket has orange and white wires.
  • Master Socket ethernet port to G.fast Modem (model MT992) using cat 5.e patch cable
  • G.fast LAN port to Technicolour router Red Socket (port 1) using cat 5.e patch cable
  • Technicolour router DWA0120 which 4x cat 6 LAN cables serving various PCs and laptops around the house due to incredibly poor Wi-Fi

Suspicions:

• The router is rubbish and I should get a new one/aftermarket one - supplier denies this and says "it's good enough for what you need"
  • Splice in Master Socket might be a bit dodgy but this wouldn't explain intermittent problems and speeds tend to be good most of the time
  • Lack of filter in the system might be causing an issue but I don't have a phone plugged in so there isn't any competing traffic or interference for it to take out?
  • Pretty sure it's the router!
  • Screenshot_20210218-094839_Chrome.jpg
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Master Socket Wiring

Go to solution

@knighty66 

Who provides your phone and broadband service?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Shell Energy which I believe use the TalkTalk network

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

you need to post on your ISP forum as this is a forum for customers of BT Retail  this forum has nothing to do with openreach

the wiring will have nothing to do with your wifi signal as that is down to your router

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Ah thanks, that's my mistake mixing up OpenReach and BT. I'll post on their forum.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@knighty66 

Then as @imjolly  has said, you need to post on your own ISP forum.

This forum is for BT Retail Customers.

If you think that Shell uses Talk Talk, then here is the link to the Talk Talk user forum.

The TalkTalk Members Forums

Your master socket and wiring has nothing to do with BT Retail.  The external connections are provided by Openreach.

Should you decide in the future, to become a BT Retail Customer, then this forum should be able to help.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
Fab, thanks Keith, really helpful and I'm going with BT at my next property, good to know there's such a responsive and helpful forum out there!
0 Ratings