Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrsunnymatharu
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Master Socket installed in wrong place?

Go to solution

I think my BT Master Socket NTE5 is installed the wrong place. I assume from a bit of research that a master socket is usually installed on an external wall but my master socket is instead installed on an internal wall. Can anyone explain why?

I live in a property built in 2005 and all the houses in the area have their phone lines fed from BT marked underground pavement boxes, the phone lines terminate at a grey box attached to the side of the house. However, when I look at that point directly on the other side of the wall (living room) there is nothing there. The master socket is installed about 6 meters away on an internal wall (dining room). We had our carpets changed a couple of years ago which exposed the concrete floor and I couldn't see any visible signs of a channel or duct along the route. (Or maybe up the wall and along the ceiling and down again?). Its the only master socket in the house.

We have had fibre cables installed in the pavement boxes ready for FTTP and in getting myself prepared I've been asking myself, why is it installed like this?

4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Master Socket installed in wrong place?

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

Who provides your phone service?

Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

You assume wrongly. The master socket can be installed anywhere.

mrsunnymatharu
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution
Vodafone phone line and broadband
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

@mrsunnymatharu wrote:
Vodafone phone line and broadband

As this is a BT Retail forum for BT Retail customers, if you have any issues with your installation, you will need to contact Vodaphone, as they are your provider.

You also mentioned a future FTTP installation. Only a small number of providers sell this service, and I do not think that Vodaphone is one of them, so you will have to change providers if you want to order FTTP, when its available.

https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/ultrafast-broadband/ultrafast-fibre-fttp