cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NoobSaibot
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 12

Maybe BT can help?

Whenever I'm browsing the internet without a VPN, just browsing, commenting on forums, etc, I'm experiencing proactive stalking... they don't tyoe but they'll phone then hang up & stuff.  Harassing calls, and computer hacking.

I forked out for a new computer, fired up full Kaspersky Total Security, etc, but it's still happening....

Any solutions?

Wi-fi, etc, secure. 

Can somebody push this higher up the ladder to technical support. Don't wanna have to use a VPN.

Tags (1)
11 REPLIES
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: Maybe BT can help?

This has nothing to do with your ISP.

Look for a solution HERE or HERE

Both are free and just require you sign up for an account. Either of them will help you and guide you through each step to resolve this.

NoobSaibot
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 12

Tried every other solution. I even went out of my way to buy a brand spanking new computer. Without a VPN (virtual private tunneling, i.e: https://freevpn.me/)  I'm being monitored and harassed http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-556068/We-spied-36-000-customers-using-internet-admits-BT.ht...

Not saying it's BT I just don't want to have to use a VPN 60% of the time.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 12

Then seek resolution from one of the sites I've provided you. They will advise you of what to do to resolve it. If what you have posted is happening then you have some serious malware operating on your computer new or not and could be due to a site you have visited.

NoobSaibot
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 12

I don't visit dodgey sites. From the looks of things it isn't from my end. Could somebody raise this issue to BT for me. Certain sites  (youtube, etc) won't allow VPN use (sign up process detects & then asks for a phone number) & this is when the proactive stalking is at its worst... not being able to use a VPN

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

@pippincp wrote:

Then seek resolution from one of the sites I've provided you. They will advise you of what to do to resolve it. If what you have posted is happening then you have some serious malware operating on your computer new or not and could be due to a site you have visited.

Pippincp

Check out OPs previous posts.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 12

@gg30340Thanks for the heads up. Tinfoil hat time!Smiley Very Happy

Liam_
Expert
Message 8 of 12

@NoobSaibot

Bearing in mind your previous posts It seems a little odd, amusing even, that you still complain about 'Stalking'.

Just by browsing the Internet no one can just magically get your phone number.  Best Browser practice indicates you should only allow the minimum number of scripts that allow a site to function and to mitigate tracking.  Likewise, cookies should only be allowed for the current session and third party cookies blocked entirely.  No PII (Personal Identifiable Information)  should be kept on you computer, certainly not unencrypted and plain text.

As for Hacking.  Most unlikely for a residential user to attract a direct attack.  Malware as in trojan or some such is much more likely.  Rogue scripts again the most likely route in. 

Believe it or not, I personally don't care if you don't, there has never been a virus, trojan, root kit or whatever on any of the devices connected to my LAN in the last 12 years of constantly on connections.  Simply because everything is locked down nicely and we can still access anywhere on the net we like.

So beef up your personal security before trying to blame a third party.  It's not BT's fault or any other ISP you care to mention.  It's simply the user at fault, no other explanation.  If someone out there has your personal information then you must have posted it somewhere that is a little untrustworthy.

dgw1
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 12

If you want to browse the internet incognito there are ways of achieving it. Doing a google search of "hide ip address" will give you a lot of solutions. There are other options to paid VPNs

Liam_
Expert
Message 10 of 12

Useful information.  Except for the fact the OP said "Don't wanna have to use a VPN"

So kinda rules it out, don't you think.