cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

New FTTP Installation Queries

Go to solution

I'm currently considering an installation of the FTTP service and have some queries for which any input would be gratefully appreciated.

The house has not been connected to any BT service so far but the address checker states that the service is available: 'WBC FTTP / Up to 1000 / Up to 220 / - / Available / 1 Stage / Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG / FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered'.

The house is a new build (2017) and has a BT duct/column with a BT66B box to the right of the front door. There is an exterior wall on the left of the front door and the passage which runs along that exterior wall is approximately 1.2m wide.

My preferred location for the ONT is a cupboard located upstairs at the rear and it would be placed on the other side of this exterior wall.

I believe the fibre would need to run straight up from the CSP box, which would presumably replace the BT66B box, run above the front door to the left, around a corner and then finally along the exterior wall. The hole would be approximately 3m from the back of the house and 3m from ground-level where it would enter the cupboard space just above the skirting board. There are two mains sockets on an adjacent wall and they are within a metre.

Does this installation sound feasible and would the width of the passage beside the external wall be fine for ladder use?

Based on what I've read so far, this should be fine but it would be great to place an order with some confidence.

My last question relates to usage. I'm currently using approximately 500GB a month but this may peak to 1TB. Would this be acceptable as per any fair usage policy (or equivalent)?

Please let me know if any further details would be useful.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: New FTTP Installation Queries

Go to solution

@TheElectron 

Who are you going to place your order with, as the fibre network is provided by Openreach, not BT Retail?

As for usage, you would need to ask whichever ISP you choose, as there quite a few that supply FTTP.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe 

Thank you for the quick reply.

The order will be with BT. I'm not sure if it would be BT Retail specifically but it'll be a residential/consumer installation.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@TheElectron wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe 

Thank you for the quick reply.

The order will be with BT. I'm not sure if it would be BT Retail specifically but it'll be a residential/consumer installation.

BT Retail are the residential provider, BT Business would be business provider.

Once you have placed your order with BT Retail, you should be able to get more information about the broadband package, and installation date. All BT broadband packages are unlimited usage. I am not aware of anyone posting on this forum, who have reported issues around fair usage.

Once you have placed your order with BT Retail, then please post back here, and you should be able to get more advice.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe 

Thank you for the details about the differences.

I was hoping to receive some guidance before placing an order, just in-case the installation isn't possible. I'm fairly sure running the fibre externally to a rear first floor location should be ok but just wanted to get confirmation.

Also, I've noticed that I've incorrectly posted to 'The Lounge' instead of the 'BT Fibre broadband' forum. Would there be any benefit in moving this post there, if possible?

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Installation is not normally a problem.

As your thread is not a service affecting fault, and you are not currently a BT Broadband customer, the post can stay in the lounge, as its a general discussion forum.

The BT Fibre Board is primarily for service affecting faults, and forum members will be able to help if you have issues with your service. Remember that its Openreach that provides the connections for most providers, with the exception of Virgin Media.

In this case, its Openreach Fibre, not BT fibre. Other providers also use Openreach Fibre, or have their own network.

Meanwhile, this should help https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/full-fibre/how-is-full-fibre-installed#:~:text=Full%20Fibre%20uses....

Once you have placed an order, and you need advice regarding the progress of your order, then post on the Bills and Packages board, and you should be able to get advice.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe 

Thank you for the reply. The link was useful and it's good to know the installation should be fine.

0 Ratings