cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gspearson
Expert
Message 1 of 9

New Openreach Network - fibre to the home

Here in Edinburgh, Openreach is installing a new fibre network (City Fibre) which will provide a fibre service from our telephone poles - not via street boxes.  Does anyone have this system yet? Is BT, recognising that Openreach is separate, going to provide an "offering" on this network so I can get off the ancient aluminium cables that supply us at the moment?

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: New Openreach Network - fibre to the home

City Fibre is a private venture and nothing to do with Openreach. Its supported by Vodaphone, so its not likely that BT will be using it.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/07/cityfibre-confirm-14-uk-towns-and-cities-for-phase-2-f...

gspearson
Expert
Message 3 of 9

I must be connecting two things incorrectly.  It is Openreach laying the fibre - this is their email to me - so who will provide services on it? 

Openreach Update.JPG

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

If you read the ISP Review page near the bottom, that is most likely what your email means.

Capture.JPG

gspearson
Expert
Message 5 of 9

@Keith_BeddoeI understand but Openreach are running into my street now, so will BT be one of the ISPs mentioned in the email I received?  We have City Fibre in the street already, in its public bodies network: council, police etc. and that is to be extend to homes and businesses.  There's Virgin too but that is fibre>coax as I understand it (and comes in through the front of houses, whereas BT feeds us from behind the buildings.  I'll just have to wait - OR are teasing me!

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

I think you will have to wait and see.

gspearson
Expert
Message 7 of 9

@Keith_BeddoeThanks - it is age making me eager - fibre before I pop off!

iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

If Openreach are installing FTTP infrastructure in your area, then when it’s made available to Communication Providers , for them to offer services to consumers, then BT Consumer will be one of those CP’s ( after all , they offer service on OR’s existing FTTP network )
Part of the confusion could be as well as a competitor called City Fibre, OR have a program called ‘Fibre City’s’ , where they announce where they intend to go and enable an entire City or Town, this is in addition to the continuing program of FTTP for ‘New Sites’ and general uplift areas etc.

Forthay
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Morrison’s on behalf of Openreach are currently in our area  too installing the cabling as part of the Edinburgh rollout. Nothing in terms of when orders can be placed. We signed up to be notified on progress but it was so out of date. It’s currently says they’re in planning when the cables are already going in. It would be nice to have an eta.