Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cantona86
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

New build struggles

Hi there. Thanks in advance for any help and opinions. I recently moved into a new build property. Before moving I asked the usual questions can we get broadband do we have a connections has anyone else had issues. All of course answered positively.

So a month before i did the usual checks for providers sure enough we could get basic broadband (while not great considering i had fibre 2 streets away i accepted my fate.) Signed up to sky who gave us their word we would be connected on the 31st October the day after moving.

The 30th rolled round. Message from sky: there has been delays in the required work to connect your line please await further updates. Alarm bells ringing what work could this be I've been told I can have broadband by countless people.

Turns out the exchange is full and has been since december last year. They have been planning to upgrade the exchange since december 2018 and it still hasn't been done. However after speaking to openreach this is magically going to be completed this week. I dont hold out much hope as sky have already told me not to an expect an update until the 19th november.

My questions to you lovely people has anyone else had experience of the exchange being full on a new build and how long did corrective works take? I've got this nagging feeling this is going to drag on. I do a lot of things via the internet and its put a bit of a downer on the move. 

12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: New build struggles

@Cantona86 

This is a forum for BT Retail customers. As you are a Sky customer, please could you post on the Sky User Forum, and someone there should be able to give you advice, as its Openreach not BT Retail who provide the network and cabinets.

This BT Retail forum has nothing to do with Openreach.

Try http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/

Also bear in mind that many new build properties have fibre to the property (FTTP), and if that is the case, then you will have an Openreach box with lights on it, already fitted.

ont.jpg

Sky do not sell FTTP, and would not be able to give you service, you would have to choose a different provider.

Thanks

Cantona86
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

I do apologise Keith. I however left out the part where I contacted BT for help also to change to them.

Mostly in hope they had a bit more sway with openreach (I know they are separate entities as such). The bt advisor was really quite helpful and managed to put me through to openreach which I was surprised with. However openreach were really unhelpful. Hope you can still help. If not I'll wander off elsewhere.

Thanks in advance.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

@Cantona86 

Please see my edited post regarding FTTP. The developer would have been involved with this.

BT Retail have no more influence over Openreach, as this would not be allowed anyway.

Do you have FTTP?

Cantona86
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Thanks for the reply Keith.

No I dont have fttp. I dont believe I even have fttc. I have a standard connections outside the property with no master socket inside the property just a blank plate.

The new build site is all on standard speeds which is a little annoying but right now I'd take any speed. ( I take what you say about no influence and it makes sense but you'll try anything when you rely on something)

I've been back and forth with bt sky openreach and the developers. All blaming each other.

Openreach did mention something about bronze and silver addresses in an email response yesterday could you shed any light on that?

With regards to the cabinet being full do you think this could be the case or just stalling for now?

Apologies if my questions are odd but I am just trying to make sense of it. Being an electrician myself it frustrates the life out of me.

Thanks again.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

It sounds like the developer did not contact Openreach when the site was planned, as the preferred option in now FTTP.

The bronze and silver issue, is simply because you do not have a working phone line yet, and the Openreach database will not be updated until that happens. That would be the same for all providers.

If you decide to change provider to BT Retail, then there is plenty of help on this forum, and you will have access to BT Retail Broadband Availability Checker.

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

This will only give accurate results if you have a working BT Retail phone number.

Its possible that Sky have a similar checker.

Cantona86
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Keith

It doesn't surprise me with the developer not contacting openreach at all. They refused virgin as well so could well be down to Costs or something of that nature. I'm no expert.

Will B.t connect a phone line asap or do they do all the work in one hit?

I have a master socket i ordered myself to help speed things up. Not sure if I'm allowed to connect it but I will if there's no issues surrounding it.

Thanks again
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

I don`t think it would have cost the developer very much, and would have been a good selling point.

The process with BT Retail is that you would have to order a phone line first, as there is no routing information on the Openreach database yet.

Once the phone line is working, you can use the availability checker to see what broadband options are available, that is the only way to get an accurate result, as the address checker does not tell the full story.

If there is a waiting list for FTTC, then you can order normal ADSL broadband, and then upgrade as soon as there is FTTC availability. You may actually find that it is available, as Sky would not know that anyway, until a phone line is working, and the Openreach database is updated.

Openreach is unlikely to use your existing master socket, as the wiring may not be in the correct location.

The choice is yours.

Cantona86
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Keith

Thanks for all the advice really appreciated. I went through to BT who cant install a phone line until the end of November.

I'm at catch 22 now, I'm also probably being impatient but I cant remember a time with no broadband. Rely on it for so many things and so many netflix YouTube and xbox accounts in this house.

Thanks again.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

@Cantona86 wrote:
Keith

Thanks for all the advice really appreciated. I went through to BT who cant install a phone line until the end of November.

It would probably be due to the lack of Openreach infrastructure, especially if the developers did not take the trouble to contact Openreach during the site build.

In a worse case scenario, they may not have installed any ducting, so you may be in for a very long wait, whichever provider you use, especially if you have a BT Retail estimate of the end of this month. It would not normally take that long, usually under 14 days if the external network is in place.

I would consider mobile broadband for essential stuff, while you wait.