Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
gbswales
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

New spam/phishing call from "Open Reach"

I received what I believe to be a spam call pirporting to be from Open Reach about my broadband connection.  The caller said that the engineers are working in the area and had changed something (I didnt catch exactly what sounded like DLL or DNS but the accent was terrible)  He then said that I need to change the "channel" on my router to a different 3 digit number.  At this point I insisted that they email me with details so that I could confirm that it was from Open Reach.  He said that he would email and very politely ended the call.

The clues that it was a scam were that the caller made no attempt to verify that I was the account holder though he did know my name.

I know these things are common but it sounded pretty convinving and I could imagine other people falling for it which is why I am bothering to post it here.  Usually these callers get rattled or over persuasive when you challenge them, and usually tell you that you will lose your internet if you dont follow what they ask, which is a dead give away.  However apart from a thick asian accent this caller was very polite throughout.  The call originated from Worksop area code -  01909731580 - however numbers like this are easily spoofed and was not found when I did reverse look up

I think that BY / Open Reach should have more positive ways of assuring people that any call you get is genuinely from them - maybe they should issue us with an individual code word or number that only we and they would know because these scammers are becoming increasingly sophisticated

Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: New spam/phishing call from "Open Reach"

Openreach would never call you as you are not one of their customers

All providers suffer from spammers there is no way to prevent them
Message 3 of 8

Hi @gbswales and thanks for posting.

@john46 is correct. Openreach wouldn't call you. The number will have been spoofed so it can't be tracked back. The best option would always to be to hang up.

Cheers

David

wb7
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

I'm not sure it's necessarily the case that Openreach will never call you; if you've got a techie with a pre-arranged appointment, and he or she is poking about in the exchange or the cabinet, then the technician *might* call you about that, partly to make sure they're doing what they're doing correctly.

However, I'd agree with that Openreach will *not* call you out of the blue.

Puzzled about what the scam caller would think they meant about "channel" on the router. VPI and VCI, maybe? Bit unlikely, as you'd never expect to have to change that unless you change ISP - and even if you do change ISP, you wouldn't expect to have to change it in the UK unless you leave the UK and take your modem router with you to plug in somewhere sunnier. If you *do* have to change it while remaining in the UK, then it's not going to be Openreach that tells you about it. Mind you, a lot of people probably don't know that.

So I suspect it was just a ruse to try to baffle you with technobabble, in the hope of getting you to run remote access applications on one or more of your bits of kit. If that's the case, then, yes, totally a scam.

But as for the scenario of the technician working at the cabinet or exchange on a pre-booked appointment - in the event that you don't happen to believe it's really him or her when he or she calls, it's probably not that big a deal anyway - after all, you'd probably try to contact your service provider to see if they'd had an update from Openreach on what's going on after a while, if the job didn't get done quite as quickly as you expected.

Basically, I don't think there's any situation in which a) someone from Openreach will phone you, and b) you need to believe that it's really them, and c) bad things will happen to your service if you don't. If in any doubt, then assume that it's fake.

Message 5 of 8

I stand corrected @wb7. I should have said 'cold call'. Thanks for pointing that out.

Cheers

David

William59
Message 6 of 8

I have just received a similar call purporting to be from BT OpenReach about problems with my broadband. SInce we are not BT customers I was suspicious and put the phone down - it was the 2nd attempt today

Phone number 0035730840804

William

William59
Message 7 of 8

I have just received a spam call supposedly from BT Openreach about problems with my broadband

Phone number 00335730840804

It was the second attempt today and we had one yesterday

I told him it was a fake call - especially as we are not with BT

Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

@William59wrote:

I have just received a spam call supposedly from BT Openreach about problems with my broadband

Phone number 00335730840804

It was the second attempt today and we had one yesterday

I told him it was a fake call - especially as we are not with BT

Hi, welcome to the forums.

This is an industry wide scam.

The scammers don't care who they are calling, and can get a list of number ranges for phone companies from the OFCOM website. So anyone who has moved company, but kept their number could well be thought of as with the original company.

Even then, they won't care!

(It's actually Openreach who do deal with the network on behalf of all the companies, the scammers are naturally fools)